yz426 for a trail bike??

31 replies to this topic
  • linkandcuff

Posted February 19, 2007 - 12:19 PM

i'm looking into buying a yz426 and plain on doing some trail riding...i heard some people say they dont like idling around...what do i need to watch out for when i ride??....i dont ride too hard on the trails, usually just on track is when i run it hard.....how should i ride this thing on the trails??....what about waiting to cross a road and i sit there for awhile?...i always had 2 strokes so any info would be great..thanks

• s3706

Posted February 19, 2007 - 12:33 PM

With a couple of changes they make great trail bikes. I would install the 03 auto decom exhaust cam and install a rekluse auto clutch. The cam makes it easier to start and the auto clutch will keep it from stalling in tight stuff. I use engine ice in my 00 426 and do not have any problems with it over heating. They will get hot if you let it sit there and idle for a long period of time. :applause:

• GixRider

Posted February 19, 2007 - 12:41 PM

I've abused my 426 plenty on single track and it does just fine. The bike can get pretty hot but it hasn't left me stranded. I'm am planning on plumbing a overflow canister for the radiators but thats easy. No rekluse or auto cam here...

• linkandcuff

Posted February 19, 2007 - 12:57 PM

y do the bikes run so hot??...are they actually overheating if left idling??..just kinda sounds strange that they run so hot..i've had HO 2 strokes and many sportbikes that over heating wasnt an issue...just sounds like something is cause the bike to run that hot...like not a big enough radiator or pump or just running to lean...how tough are these motors??

• MikeDD

Posted February 19, 2007 - 01:09 PM

Yes, they will overheat if left idling. You are comparing apples to oranges between 2stroke and 4stroke. The 4strokes are meant to be ridden and not to sit around unlike the 2's. They need airflow through the radiators to keep them cool but there is no reason you can't use them for trail riding. If your concerned about overheating do a search for the infamous "red hot header," lots of info there.

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted February 19, 2007 - 01:38 PM

y do the bikes run so hot??...are they actually overheating if left idling??..just kinda sounds strange that they run so hot..i've had HO 2 strokes and many sportbikes that over heating wasnt an issue...just sounds like something is cause the bike to run that hot...like not a big enough radiator or pump or just running to lean...how tough are these motors??

They run hot because it is a pure MX bike designed for constant air-flow. Mine has never boiled over on the MX Track. Mine has only boiled over once. We were cutting new trails on a 98 degree day. We actually had to stop and cool down because one rider's bike in the group completely boiled over. (He was riding a 1999 CR - 250 2-Stroke)

The 426 makes a great trail bike as well. (Providing you have the skill-set to ride it the tight stuff) Anyone can ride a big bike in the open stuff. The motors are tough as nails. Mine went 6+ years of trail riding/MX and racing before I replace dthe top-end. Still had plenty hourws to go. Probably a couple of more years...

- RCD

• ____Kurt____

Posted February 19, 2007 - 01:51 PM

i ride tails and on the railroad tracks (really long straights) and i don't have a rekluse or auto de-compression, it rips like hell through the trails. this is the fastest/most powerful bike i've ever riden/owned and i've ridden 450's and 250's(2-stroke). you just have to know how to ride the trails good for it to be a good trail bike. hope this helps :applause:

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted February 19, 2007 - 04:13 PM

The 426 can be made into a good cheap trail bike if you want to hit the trails. I have owned my 426 for a few years now and have done quite a few mods. Check my garage to see the details, but I have added the Rekluse, a desert tank, lots of guards, regeared, and softened the compression both front and rear. This bike likes to rail, but I have never boiled mine over in the tight stuff.

• PATHPOUNDER

Posted February 19, 2007 - 04:39 PM

I've abused my 426 plenty on single track and it does just fine. The bike can get pretty hot but it hasn't left me stranded. I'm am planning on plumbing a overflow canister for the radiators but thats easy. No rekluse or auto cam here...

Im the same way....manual decompression, manual clutch....I put a puke bottle on mine...good move,it may puke a little every now and then , but I dont lose the coolant.
I used a turkey baster and zip tied it to my devol radiator guards...It might fill it 2/3 rds...but thats it so far..

gearing 14/ 53works great in the tight stuff..

• linkandcuff

Posted February 19, 2007 - 06:20 PM

thats a good idea with the over flow bottle....well the guy hasnt gotten back to me yet hopefully i'll hear from him tomorrow....thanks guys

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Terrain Rider 4z

Posted February 19, 2007 - 06:33 PM

Oh yeah, make sure it is an 01 or 02 as the 2000 has some clutch issues that can get expensive to fix.

• 642MX

Posted February 19, 2007 - 06:54 PM

i'm looking into buying a yz426 and plain on doing some trail riding...i heard some people say they dont like idling around...what do i need to watch out for when i ride??....i dont ride too hard on the trails, usually just on track is when i run it hard.....how should i ride this thing on the trails??....what about waiting to cross a road and i sit there for awhile?...i always had 2 strokes so any info would be great..thanks

I ride a 426 in the woods. It will overheat when ran at slow speeds, but normally it isn't a problem. The 426 also handles tracks really well. IMO, its the best "all-purpose" bike made.

• 642MX

Posted February 19, 2007 - 06:56 PM

No rekluse or auto cam here...

Those are the 2 best mods you can do to a 426. :applause:

• linkandcuff

Posted February 20, 2007 - 07:01 AM

what do u guys do if u get stuck in a mud pit??....try for a second and shut it off so u can pull it by hand??....is it worth maybe detunning the bike a bit so it runs cooler at low speeds or is that not the problem?..what causes the bike to run so hot??...a cooling system that isnt match for the motor??...how does the wr do with overheating??

• GixRider

Posted February 20, 2007 - 09:28 AM

Those are the 2 best mods you can do to a 426. :applause:

I honestly don't mind the manual clutch/decompression. When I was a newb on the single track, I'd stall all the time but now my skill has caught up with the trails and usually don't stall it at all. Maybe once every other ride. I'll deal with that hassle over spending $600 on the two mods.

As for overheating, my guess would be the YZ ignition timing causes a hotter burn over the WR models. I haven't seen a side by side comparison of the YZ/WR radiators but I assume they're the same.

• torqueme

Posted February 20, 2007 - 09:55 AM

what do u guys do if u get stuck in a mud pit??....try for a second and shut it off so u can pull it by hand??....is it worth maybe detunning the bike a bit so it runs cooler at low speeds or is that not the problem?..what causes the bike to run so hot??...a cooling system that isnt match for the motor??...how does the wr do with overheating??

I ride nothing but tight HOT (it doesn't get below 80 here in the winter) single track trails with my '02 YZ426. once i switched to engine ice a year ago i have yet to experience any boilover problems. as far as mud pits go, i've learned to trust this bike & open the throttle. friend of mine has same year WR426 & only difference is his is slower...:applause:

• linkandcuff

Posted February 20, 2007 - 11:09 AM

i alot of people talk up the engine ice and for only $20 oe so it seems worth it even if it doesnt work that good....so if the bike doesnt boil over then its running fine it sounds like.....i live in upstate ny so it isnt crazy hot all the time...maybe high 90's for a couple of weeks is out hot spell....i hope i buy it soon still havent heard from the guy selling it....i dont want to spend over 1800 for a bike so i might be waiting a while to find the right deal

• TotallyMetal

Posted February 20, 2007 - 03:29 PM

I ride from 8,000 to 12,000 feet, so I boil over fairly often. This year I've added an overflow tank from a WR. I had to make a bracket for the front mount, seems to work fine so far.

http://i83.photobuck.../yz426001-1.jpg

http://i83.photobuck.../yz426002-1.jpg

• jayh300

Posted February 20, 2007 - 03:39 PM

ditto.... switched to engine ice and have no more overheat issues. great trail bikes, that is all i ride on mine. 1999 yz400f

• marcmo0

Posted February 20, 2007 - 04:04 PM

Im the same way....manual decompression, manual clutch....I put a puke bottle on mine...good move,it may puke a little every now and then , but I dont lose the coolant.
I used a turkey baster and zip tied it to my devol radiator guards...It might fill it 2/3 rds...but thats it so far..

gearing 14/ 53works great in the tight stuff..

Can you send in a pic of how you have that set up and where the hoses run? I'd like to give that system a shot. I have a stock setup right now, but that sounds pretty good.:applause:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.