650R or L.......Maybe BMW 1200GS???

6 replies to this topic
  • 2WheelTad

Posted February 19, 2007 - 06:23 AM

I'm planning on buying a bike to ride about 70% road and 30% Baja type trails. I'm a Honda man by blood! My wife would really like to come on some cross country rides. (maybe 2-3 times a year) Two up for long distance does not sound like fun on a XR. Maybe a (I hate to say it) BMW 1200GS dual??? Or if I do the XR should I be looking at the R model or the L??? Planning on lots of miles on the bike!! Thanks guys...

• Chopp

Posted February 19, 2007 - 08:41 AM

I wouldn't want to go two up on an XRR for too long.

• slepe67

Posted February 19, 2007 - 09:37 AM

KTM 950 (older and carbureted) or 990 Adventure (new with ABS and fuel injection)...that would be my choice for a long trip. It is a dirt bike that goes well over any terrain. The Beemer, is a street bike, that can go on gravel. Plus, it is wide and VERY heavy. Just a thought. check out advrider.com, they have miles of posts regarding the topic.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2WheelTad

Posted February 19, 2007 - 03:48 PM

KTM 950 (older and carbureted) or 990 Adventure (new with ABS and fuel injection)...that would be my choice for a long trip. It is a dirt bike that goes well over any terrain. The Beemer, is a street bike, that can go on gravel. Plus, it is wide and VERY heavy. Just a thought. check out advrider.com, they have miles of posts regarding the topic.

Thanks! Some of the BMW riders at advrider.com had some really good input!

• creeky

Posted February 19, 2007 - 06:13 PM

If you go Honda, your wife will not like the R since it is designed for a single rider. The L is set up (sorta) for riding two up and would most likely be the better choice in your case. The 650L is a little heavy and can be a handfull on nasty trails, but with minimal suspension fiddling and a fork brace can be made to do fairly well.

• beezerjoe

Posted February 24, 2007 - 11:16 PM

I just test rode a friends bmw 1200gs all I can say is it is a very nice machine.If you're going 2 up and not going to get into anything real nasty in the dirt you and your wife would love it.The single I can't imagine would be to comfortable on a long trip.Ah what the hell buy 'em both she'll understand:thumbsup:

• Docmarkw

Posted February 25, 2007 - 11:10 AM

The 650r is not a great bike for two up. I bought the buddy pegs a few years back and do ride with my wife a bit, but it's far from comfortable.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.