How often do you service your forks and what all parts do you need?

9 replies to this topic
  • red7

Posted February 18, 2007 - 05:02 PM

I have a month old '06 YZ450F and apparently it needs to be serviced after 15 hours or so because it is bottoming out really easy even over small jumps. The problem is that I live in Mexico and didn't realize I was going to have to have it serviced every month. I do have a friend coming down in a week that could bring me what I need but I need a list of what it will take.

I have loved this bike for the month I've owned it but I've got to say that I'm frustrated that the suspension is already messed up. I'm not sure what it costs to have this work done but if it's around $200 then I'm going to spend half of what I paid for the bike each year just on servicing the suspension. I just can't believe how fragile these things are (especially since I'm not some 250 pounder....I weigh 180).:applause:

• flintlock28

Posted February 18, 2007 - 05:52 PM

Are you positive you haven't blown a fork seal???

If you're bottoming even on small jumps, than that would tend to be the primary reason. I have an 04' Yz450f, and 175 or 180 pounds is about the maximum limit for the stock suspension. I'm guessing the 06' is probably about the same (175 or 180). That being said, you should not be having any problems on small jumps. I'm guessing either a fork seal went or something internal went in the fork. Even with break-in, small jumps shouldn't bother it.

If you find that a fork seal went, or any other internal, I'd look at going maybe one size heavier with the fork springs, since you're going to be ripping apart the forks anyway, and being at your weight a heavier spring should allow you to get a plusher ride with new springs and a revalve. I'm no expert on suspension's, but everbody seems to give a different value for the proper weight limit. I've heard 170 pounds, I've heard 180, and I've heard 190.....

First things first, make sure you have no fork oil leaking down the fork tube(s)....that's the first culprit.

• red7

Posted February 18, 2007 - 11:32 PM

Are you positive you haven't blown a fork seal???

If you're bottoming even on small jumps, than that would tend to be the primary reason. I have an 04' Yz450f, and 175 or 180 pounds is about the maximum limit for the stock suspension. I'm guessing the 06' is probably about the same (175 or 180). That being said, you should not be having any problems on small jumps. I'm guessing either a fork seal went or something internal went in the fork. Even with break-in, small jumps shouldn't bother it.

If you find that a fork seal went, or any other internal, I'd look at going maybe one size heavier with the fork springs, since you're going to be ripping apart the forks anyway, and being at your weight a heavier spring should allow you to get a plusher ride with new springs and a revalve. I'm no expert on suspension's, but everbody seems to give a different value for the proper weight limit. I've heard 170 pounds, I've heard 180, and I've heard 190.....

First things first, make sure you have no fork oil leaking down the fork tube(s)....that's the first culprit.

That's what I would have thought as well but I can't find any oil leaking anywhere. Where would it leak from? Also, I think in '06 they went to a different fork because when I was researching getting an '06 everyone said that the stock suspension would be perfect for my weight. I'm going back to the track tomorrow and am going play around with the compression clickers and see if it still bottoms even if I go all the way in.

The reason I keep asking about what I need to service the forks is because I have to place the order ASAP for my friend to be able to bring it to me. If not, no riding for a few months until I go back to the States. This is really frustrating as I purposefully went with a Yamaha because they are typically more reliable then other brands but if something is indeed blown after just a month then that's not cool!

• twenty34

Posted February 19, 2007 - 02:34 AM

That's what I would have thought as well but I can't find any oil leaking anywhere. Where would it leak from? Also, I think in '06 they went to a different fork because when I was researching getting an '06 everyone said that the stock suspension would be perfect for my weight. I'm going back to the track tomorrow and am going play around with the compression clickers and see if it still bottoms even if I go all the way in.

The reason I keep asking about what I need to service the forks is because I have to place the order ASAP for my friend to be able to bring it to me. If not, no riding for a few months until I go back to the States. This is really frustrating as I purposefully went with a Yamaha because they are typically more reliable then other brands but if something is indeed blown after just a month then that's not cool!

You shouldn't be experiencing any issues like this. Have you tried some adjustments on your clickers? Without doing this, it's hard for anyone here to really determine if you have an internal problem or not. You can try this in your garage. Add some compression, sit on the bike and push up and down before and after to see if you can feel any changes. Riding is the best bet, but you can usually feel the difference just by working in your garage to be honest. The springs are fine for your weight. I did notice that the suspension does tend to break in after a few hard rides which usually requires a few clicks on your compression and rebound both front and rear to dial the bike in. If you ride just one track or the same type of terrain, this will be easier to adjust for. When you ride different terrain, it makes this process a little more challenging depending on how vast the differences are in tera firma.

Hope this helps diagnose your problem.

• flintlock28

Posted February 19, 2007 - 05:31 AM

When you adjust the compression, move the clickers in two steps at a time....than test. Don't dial in any more than two clicks at a time.

Also, make sure you're turning in the compression.....My 2004 Yz 450f has the compression clickers on the bottom, I think some years the compression clickers may be on top.....recheck your manual.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • red7

Posted February 19, 2007 - 09:51 AM

I'm going to the track after I get done surfing so I'll play with it there. I have played with the compression clickers in the garage and it had no noticeable impact. I sat on the bike and with the brake on shoved down the forks it left a dirt mark where the top tube went down to. Then I turned the clickers 2 clicks tried it then another 2 clicks and every time I was getting to or beyond the same mark. This isn't very scientific so I'll try it at the track as well. So does it sound like I should do both rebound and compression in 2 clicks at a time or maybe just do rebound 2 clicks and leave it while I keep going in 2 clicks on the compression until it hopefully stops bottoming out.

Again, I checked for any signs of fork oil and I'm not finding anything. I sure hope it's something I can adjust.

So how often do you guys usually change the oil?

• berudd

Posted February 19, 2007 - 10:21 AM

The suspension will not need to be serviced every month. But, the oil does break down over time. You don't have to replace any parts to put in fresh oil.

• Ga450owner

Posted February 19, 2007 - 12:39 PM

Again - service the suspension every 20-25hrs of use......meaning measured use via a Hr meter.
I completely disassemble the forks and shock including removal of rebound and compression valves/adjusters. There is always contaminants in these areas (broken down oil and trash/sludge)
Brand New suspensions will breakin and be ready for a first service 15-20hrs.
I replace the fork seals every service interval usually for me every 20-25hrs

You do not have to do it this often......but I do as I like my suspension to be at its best.

You will need:
A decent parts cleaner - to clean every part of the forks and shock
New suspension oil
New Forkseals
Nitrogen

Wow I finally became a newbee.....:applause:

• flintlock28

Posted February 19, 2007 - 12:49 PM

A lot of guy's replace forks seals once or twice a season......depending on how much/hard they ride. If you do more trail riding than track, you can go longer without changing oil.

• red7

Posted February 19, 2007 - 01:36 PM

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was looking for! I'll order up some oil and fork seals.

Does the rear suspension need service as often or can that go longer? It has softened up some but not nearly as much as the front. Where do I buy nitrogen?

Thanks again!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.