Wood Treatment for open trailer?

6 replies to this topic
  • kholman4dirtbike

Posted February 18, 2007 - 03:24 PM

How do I treat plywood to keep shape against water? How much do you think it would cost?
Thanks
Kevin

• 2005DMAX

Posted February 18, 2007 - 03:48 PM

My flatbed I have, I used Thompsons Water Seal. I have also used linseed oil in the past. If I had to do it over again, I would go with the linseed oil first and then the water seal.

• witdogg

Posted February 18, 2007 - 05:08 PM

Linseed oil. Use a paint roller to put it on and do 2-3 coats. It works great.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SMarquez

Posted February 18, 2007 - 07:03 PM

Try the Epoxi-seal paint from Lowes or Home Depot. I used it on the floor of my enclosed trailer with some sand mixed in it for the ramp. It's made for concrete floors so it should be good for the outside. It was about $22 a galllon. I was able to do 2 coats on the floor of my 6x12 and the ramp. When I redo my open trailer I will use this stuff on the floor and side walls.

• Chickenhauler

Posted February 18, 2007 - 10:49 PM

How do I treat plywood to keep shape against water? How much do you think it would cost?
Thanks
Kevin

Is it treated plywood?

If it is, then you shouldn't have to do anything more than hose it down.

If it isn't treated lumber, then it may have a much shorter lifespan.

I reccommend using http://www.onetimewood.com/ on any wood that is exposed to the elements-I have used this product on the decking of flatbed and stepdeck semi trailers with great results. And those trailers contend with road salt, magnesium chloride, UV rays, and oil and other chemicals all the time. Great product, IMHO.:applause:

• Gdub

Posted February 19, 2007 - 11:15 AM

I use the linseed oil but i mix it with a little bit of paint thinner to make it a little bit more runny so it will penetrate the wood a little better. I still will put on another coat every year or so to help keep it looking good. works for me.
good luck.

• Way Fast Whitey

Posted February 19, 2007 - 02:44 PM

i'm biulding a storage box for the quad. should i use a similiar product on it if i want to wash it after muddy rides? wouldn't paint seal the wood up as well?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.