2007 WR450 !!! Great bike !!!

29 replies to this topic
  • jams229

Posted February 25, 2007 - 01:38 PM

For what it's worth, I had a terrible experience with Honda when
the transmission in my CRF450X siezed. Honda was not only unresponsive,
but they flat out denied any problem. They simply reiterated the fact that the CRF450X came with NO warranty, which is true, but when many of these
bikes suffered the same fate, I thought they would step up to the plate...

• Tough Guy

Posted March 04, 2007 - 12:31 PM

Any updates on your issue? :applause:

Chris

• sts475

Posted March 21, 2007 - 08:39 AM

I had my oil analyzed and even though the Silicon and Aluminum levels were elevated, they were within the scope of an off road engine. Which means that my engine received limited accelerated wear and damage. I was lucky ! The same info will work against me if I go to court over it. So, as much as I do not like it, I'll just have to accept it for now. I have been riding the bike as much as possible and I just get sucked into how much fun it is and don't even realize how much time or distance has passed. I loved the KTM but it was like a thoroughbred and demanded your attention. This bike is just pure fun to ride and is a very enjoyable thing for me right now. I hope that it doesn't end soon.

Yamaha owes alot of people something for the damage the hole in the air filter caused but I am not the guy to quantify what or how much that is. I hope they step up to the plate and take care of these people. As much as I love this bike, after these circumstances, I would not be a repeat buyer. Especially after the way the dealer handled the situation.

Good Luck to all that this has happened to. I'll help anyone that wants to know about oil analysis and where to get it done.

STS.

• redswr

Posted March 21, 2007 - 11:40 AM

i'm about to go buy a 450... what is wrong with the filter/cage? is there something i should check before i ride it?

thanks,

• sts475

Posted March 21, 2007 - 07:13 PM

There is a metal spring wire assembly that wraps across the filter cage and hooks on the door side to hold the air filter in place. Where the metal retainer touches the air filter in the middle is a plastic trough. On the defective or open cages, there is a hole straight through the trough to the engine. You have to remove the air filter and look in the middle of the trough to see it.
There is another posting in this forum about the faulty cages that has pictures in it. Go look at that. Ask the dealer if they did the recall and check your bike before you leave the dealer. If the cage has the hole straight through the middle, don't ride the bike. Make them exchange it right there. Make sure the pad on the filter that seals to the air box is greased good.

The bike is awesome and I hope that you enjoy it. I am not a JD jetting fan and I made my bike work with jetting from other model Yamahas' Check out the other post here. The suspension will break in but you will need to set the sag right away. The chain stretches alot so be prepared to tighten it within a couple of hours. The seat is hard but does soften up after some time on it.
My friend, who bought one just before I did, is obsecessing over fuel spillage from his gas cap vent when the tank is full. He took my gas cap apart and it's the same as his. You may notice this but I'm not having a problem with it. Sometimes when you go to start it it will not turn over because it is coming up on top dead center and the starter can't turn it through. I just rock it back and forth in gear and get it past. I do not think it has automatic decompression, so it's something we just have to live with.

Well, that's all that I can think of for now.

ENJOY !

STS.

i'm about to go buy a 450... what is wrong with the filter/cage? is there something i should check before i ride it?

thanks,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sts475

Posted March 21, 2007 - 07:17 PM

I know exactly what you mean..............

Good Luck !

STS.

For what it's worth, I had a terrible experience with Honda when
the transmission in my CRF450X siezed. Honda was not only unresponsive,
but they flat out denied any problem. They simply reiterated the fact that the CRF450X came with NO warranty, which is true, but when many of these
bikes suffered the same fate, I thought they would step up to the plate...

• aussiebonecrusher

Posted March 22, 2007 - 01:45 AM

:lol: :goofy: :goofy: :lol: :lol: :lol: :applause: :eek: :lol:
I just got a new WR450F. WOW what a great bike ! It is very user friendly and does almost everything great and very little wrong. It tracks better than anything that I have ridden for a long time and steers really well !!! Plus , it's smaller and I can reach the ground no problem !!! I'm stoked !!! I'm looking forward to riding it as much as possible !!!! I recommend it to all !!!

Have a nice day !!!

Go Riding !!!

STS.

Should have bought the HONDA CRF450X a few years ago and you would have what you have now, exept better !!

Yammys couldn't think of their own stuff so they tried to copy the Honda. The 07 Yam is OK ...... but the CRF will beat it hands down. Have ridden both and will stick with red.

• Paradiddle

Posted March 22, 2007 - 07:01 AM

STS,

I obsess over everything!!! :lol: :lol: :eek:

The gas cap leaks ALL THE TIME, not just when full. Then the fuel runs down the front fender, and blows back on to the headpipe - NOT GOOD!!!! Go start your bike in the dark, and observe the nice glowing headpipe; surely hot enough to ignite fuel vapors! I'm working on a fix for this.

I'll get it right, even if Yamaha couldn't!:applause:

Lynn
p.s. lets go riding!!!
p.s.s my oil tastes fine!

• sts475

Posted March 24, 2007 - 07:22 AM

Well, I don't know how things are down under but here in the states, the Yamaha reliability blows off anything the Honda CRF has right now. I know people that have the Yamahas and only do the minimum of maintenance and never have any problems ! And we're talking for years on end. That's why I bought one. I have nothing against the Honda except the unicam engine has not proven to be as reliable as the previous efforts and I just don't like the design of it. The Yamaha is a very fun bike to ride and just as effective as any Honda. The CRF just doesn't do it for me. Honda has lost it's way along the path. The Yamaha handles like the good CR's used to. Honda needs to find it's way home again. Then I may go back. Don't forget, I still have my trusty 2000 CR 250 in the garage. I haven't totally gone away from red, I'm taking a vacation right now......

Have a nice day !

Go Riding !

STS.

Should have bought the HONDA CRF450X a few years ago and you would have what you have now, exept better !!

Yammys couldn't think of their own stuff so they tried to copy the Honda. The 07 Yam is OK ...... but the CRF will beat it hands down. Have ridden both and will stick with red.

• sts475

Posted March 24, 2007 - 07:30 AM

I think that you're on fire in your brain right now, it just hasn't manifested to your bike yet...... I know you're gazing at your glowing head pipe with wanton anticipation......It's Ok, you can come out of the garage now.....We definitely need to go riding...... Call me !

Are you playing in the oil again ?

STS.

STS,

I obsess over everything!!! :lol: :lol: :eek:

The gas cap leaks ALL THE TIME, not just when full. Then the fuel runs down the front fender, and blows back on to the headpipe - NOT GOOD!!!! Go start your bike in the dark, and observe the nice glowing headpipe; surely hot enough to ignite fuel vapors! I'm working on a fix for this.

I'll get it right, even if Yamaha couldn't!:applause:

Lynn
p.s. lets go riding!!!
p.s.s my oil tastes fine!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.