Internal Baffle Removal-XR650R

1 reply to this topic
  • philipstjohn

Posted February 18, 2007 - 06:14 AM

Anyone have any tricks to removing the internal baffles on the stock muffler of the XR650R? Please le me know if you can. Thanks guys

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted February 18, 2007 - 08:34 AM

I used a large bar to bend them down the first time. On a differnet muffle I would bend them down with the bar and then bent them back up with channel locks till they popped off from there spot welds. It turned out that you get much more of a "can" sound with the baffles all the way out and just bending them down about half way gave more flow with close to the same "type" of sound. When i say "large bar" I do mean a very heavy pointed digging bar. The muffler was o the bike and I would ram the bar 1~2" into the baffle. So there wasn't a lot of force slamming into the baffle and it did take a while to bend the baffle over. The baffle ripped in half before it would bend over on both sides. That is were I was hitting the baffle first was on each side with the point. Once the baffle broke on the sides then I hit the top and bottom to bend it over.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.