TT500 Ignition Question

5 replies to this topic
  • tdawg81

Posted February 18, 2007 - 12:24 AM

I have a 1978 TT500. I am rewiring the bike (previous owner stripped the wiring). I have new points, condensor, coil, etc. Everything is mounted, but I'm confused on how to hook it up. I am hoping there is an obvious answer :censored:

Details:
The Magneto has 2 wires coming out of it (red/black). The points have one wire coming out of it, and the coil has one wire coming out of it. How do I hook all of this up? Where is the ground for the ignition coil?

I have been advised to do the following, but it doesn't seem right:

Red output from magneto->wire out of coil
Point output->screw mount of coil

I hope this makes sense to someone reading. I am hoping to fire up the bike and get riding tomorrow!

thanks!

• beezerjoe

Posted February 18, 2007 - 12:51 AM

I have a 1978 TT500. I am rewiring the bike (previous owner stripped the wiring). I have new points, condensor, coil, etc. Everything is mounted, but I'm confused on how to hook it up. I am hoping there is an obvious answer :censored:

Details:
The Magneto has 2 wires coming out of it (red/black). The points have one wire coming out of it, and the coil has one wire coming out of it. How do I hook all of this up? Where is the ground for the ignition coil?

I have been advised to do the following, but it doesn't seem right:

Red output from magneto->wire out of coil
Point output->screw mount of coil

I hope this makes sense to someone reading. I am hoping to fire up the bike and get riding tomorrow!

thanks!

I was getting ready to go to sleep and just had to look in.Here is what you need to do.Hook up the black wire from the stator to the black wire from the points to the black wire from the coil an attach your kill button wire to these also,this will get your ignition going.The coil grounds through it's mounting so make sure where it all makes contact is clean.The red wire is a straight AC lighting coil so you don't need to worry about it.Set your points a.014 gap then set your ignition timing.This is all from the clymer manual wiring diagrams.Have good ride and welcome to the forum:thumbsup:

• miz

Posted February 18, 2007 - 03:47 AM

Hiya, have a look at this site:-

www.yamaha-xt500.co.uk/

They have all the info you could ever need.

Miz.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tdawg81

Posted February 18, 2007 - 07:10 PM

Thanks to both of you guys. Hooked up and it is creating spark. Unfortunately bike is still not running, but I will post more questions once I figure more out.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me!!

• tdawg81

Posted February 21, 2007 - 08:14 PM

Want to say thanks again for your guys help. When you say: "Set your points a.014 gap then set your ignition timing." - is 0.014 correct? This is my first time adjusting points and that seems like a tiny gap. If this is correct then that would explain why my bike won't start!

I know I need to pick up a manual (I will check eBay after I post this), but can you explain how you set the timing?

• beezerjoe

Posted February 21, 2007 - 11:53 PM

Want to say thanks again for your guys help. When you say: "Set your points a.014 gap then set your ignition timing." - is 0.014 correct? This is my first time adjusting points and that seems like a tiny gap. If this is correct then that would explain why my bike won't start!

I know I need to pick up a manual (I will check eBay after I post this), but can you explain how you set the timing?

Yes .014 is the correct gap for the points.If you set your timing then the gap the timing will change because when you change the gap you change when the rubbing block on the points contacts the the point cam.To time one of these is pretty easy first set the gap there should be an index mark on the cam align that with the rubbing block or if there isn't a mark just roll the cam around till you have the points on the highest spot on the cam and set your gap.You also have 2 places to check timing marks you can remove the mag cover on the shifter side of the engine and you will find a top[T] and fire [F] mark on the rotor and a pointer cast into the crank case at the top also on the brake side just below the points cover there is a big plastic plug remove the plug and when you look inside as you turn the engine over you will see another set of timing marks and pointer that correspond with the one on the mag rotor you can set the timing with either set of these marks the result will be the same.Remove the spark plug to let the engine turn over easier and as the engine comes onto the [F] mark the points should just start to open up if they open to early or to late you need to rotate the backing plate for the points in whichever direction to achieve proper timing.I'll give you a couple of ideas for checking when the points start opening you can either use a continuity light or meter to check when they open or you can use a very thin piece of celophane like a cigarrette wrapper and insert it inbetween the point contacts when they are closed and lightly tug on the celophane and when you roll the engine over you should just feel the tension release when the points start to open,stop and then check your timing marks and adjust accordingly and repeat the process if need be.I hope I was able to explain this in a manner that is not confusing let us know how it turns out.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.