Advice on a used XR600

7 replies to this topic
  • Atrovent

Posted February 17, 2007 - 09:53 PM

I'm looking at a '95 XR600 for cheap (less then a grand). The catch is that it's using a small amount of oil, and in 4th gear the bike grinds and jerks. All the other gears are smooth. Otherwise in good shape. Thoughts on what could be wrong and how much it might cost? Thanks for you help. :censored:

• Nummie

Posted February 17, 2007 - 10:17 PM

You're looking ar another 4 or 5 hundred for an ebay transmission, a weisco piston & rings, and a gasket kit. More if any bearings, cam chain tensioner, ect....

• creeky

Posted February 18, 2007 - 06:01 AM

If the tranny is damaged, the broken pieces have done other hidden damage, beware.

• cleonard

Posted February 18, 2007 - 09:38 AM

As Creeky says there could be other collateral damage. The main factor is -- are you willing to do the work yourself, or would you be having a mechanic doing the work. If it's a mechanic I'd guess that you are looking at at least $1000 if not $1500 or more to fix the engine. It would be a lot less if you can do the work.

Just guessing it sounds like it needs 4th gear. There are likely other transmission issues like 3rd gear and possibly a shift fork or two. If it's using oil it may need rings. It may need a new piston and bore. It would be good to have the head looked at and a valve job done if needed. It could also use a new cam chain and tensioner.

The parts have value. If you get the bike and it needs too many things fixed, just strip it and sell the parts on ebay. I bet that the pieces will get more than $1000 on ebay.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • focallength

Posted February 18, 2007 - 02:43 PM

I know a guy in so.Cal who is very reasonable and has tons of experience with XR's. To install rings, gaskets and mill the head (if it needed it) was about 200 bucks.

For a complete engine rebuild (labor, machine work and parts) your looking at about 800-1200 depending on how many new parts are needed

give him a call he really knows his stuff

909-825-7064
canyon racers

www.canyonracers.com

• Atrovent

Posted February 20, 2007 - 08:32 PM

Thanks for the heads up about that shop. I had thought about using Norm's Cycles in San Bernardino. They did some work on my street bikes. Anyone have luck with them?

• asf

Posted February 20, 2007 - 09:28 PM

I know a guy in so.Cal who is very reasonable and has tons of experience with XR's. To install rings, gaskets and mill the head (if it needed it) was about 200 bucks.

For a complete engine rebuild (labor, machine work and parts) your looking at about 800-1200 depending on how many new parts are needed

give him a call he really knows his stuff

909-825-7064
canyon racers

www.canyonracers.com

FOr a complete rebuild that sounds really cheap, parts alone would be that if you need cam, chain, valves, springs, conrod, bearings, tranny, clutch, puiston, gaskets, oil pump, etc.

• Watsabi

Posted February 23, 2007 - 05:51 PM

Personally I got a 97 xr600 because I wanted to learn to wrench myself. seamed easier that my 78 yamaha twin. I'm looking at doing a ring/valve job comming up here this spring

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.