Stripped out oil strainer

7 replies to this topic
  • DJ450WR

Posted February 17, 2007 - 08:16 PM

I need help removing a stripped out oil strainer on a 06 WR 450. I torqued the strainer to specs. but it still spun. It will not back out and after trying to remove the strainer it now has an 1/8" gap between the frame and the strainer bolt head. The washer is shot and the strainer is no good anymore, so i'm just trying to get it out so I can rethread the frame to insert a new strainer. Thanks for any help.

• waynus

Posted February 17, 2007 - 09:57 PM

You have to try to lever it downwards while turning it. I would suggest a pair of long nose pliers or even a ground down thin openended spanner that would fit in between the frame and the strainer. Hopefully once it gets started, it will find it's thread again and keep coming. Hope the thread in the frame is reusable.:censored:

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 18, 2007 - 04:31 AM

If you do need a new frame contact NCMountainman he just put a new 06 yz450 frame on his 04 yz450 and the 04 frame is in prefect shape. He wanted the lower steering head of the new frames.:censored:

• SXP

Posted February 18, 2007 - 08:08 AM

If you do need a new frame contact NCMountainman he just put a new 06 yz450 frame on his 04 yz450 and the 04 frame is in prefect shape. He wanted the lower steering head of the new frames.:censored:

Isn't the 06 an aluminium frame?! Did everything bolt up right:eek:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DJ450WR

Posted February 18, 2007 - 10:05 AM

Thanks guys for all the great ideas. I'm going to try and wedge it as I turn it out. It's about half way out now so I'm almost there. I'm sure i'll have to retap the threads. Thanks!!

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 18, 2007 - 10:55 AM

NCMountainman just put a new 06 yz450 frame on his 04 yz450

you mean he droped the motor, airbox etc on the frame and then installed his current forks and swing arm to make the conversion????

• DJ450WR

Posted February 18, 2007 - 02:05 PM

Ok, I got it out and heading to Yamaha to get a new strainer and tap. Thanks everybody.

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 18, 2007 - 02:16 PM

you mean he droped the motor, airbox etc on the frame and then installed his current forks and swing arm to make the conversion????

Mountainman has works forks, applied clamps, edlebrock carb, and a long list of mods in his one off custom race bike.:applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.