hotcams? power wise are they worth it??

17 replies to this topic
  • bigjohn450

Posted February 17, 2007 - 01:47 PM

just wondering if anyone is running hotcams in their 450's. i have a '06 yz and am looking to get more power out of it. i previously had a '04 and did exhaust and noticed only a minimal gain it was'nt really worth the money so im wondering if hot cams are going to make more power for the money ive read tons about them but just want some real input from actual users.
im kind of a big guy 280lbs and love the 450 just looking for a little more umph out of it with out going broke. the cams sound like a pretty good performance upgrade. any input is greatly appreciated thanks.

• bigjohn450

Posted February 17, 2007 - 07:20 PM

is nobody running hotcams? i just wanted some input if anyone has any.

• bigbluerider4life

Posted February 17, 2007 - 07:27 PM

plenty of people run em and love em...i havent had any expirience with them YET
they really dont give much hp, they just change around where the buyer wants to have more
stage 1 will give lotsa bottom/mid with no loss on top
stage 2 will give lotsa mid/top with little loss of bottom

run race gas for more power with maybe a slipon

• Kyle Prior

Posted February 17, 2007 - 08:12 PM

You could do a big bore with a high comp pistons, ported cylinder head, and hot cams if you wanted more power :censored:, but yes, I do believe the Hot Cams help a lot.

• Mike McCutcheon

Posted February 17, 2007 - 08:38 PM

Big John, I put Stage 1 Hot Cams in my 05 RMZ450 and was surprised to feel as much of an improvement to the power as I got for my $. Throttle response was improved, bottom a little better and mid much, much better. I liked the way third gear pulled harder longer too. I've got an 07 YZ450 now and I'm itching to get some for this bike too. Worth the money in my opinion.

• bigjohn450

Posted February 18, 2007 - 01:27 PM

thanks guys i think im goin to get some. do they make different stages for the yamaha or do they just offer one style.

• ericyzf4

Posted February 18, 2007 - 02:27 PM

If you are interested in the hot cams, I have both the intake and exhaust I would sell. I also have an 06 YZ450f but am not going to use the cams, the bike is more than fast enough for me. A buddy of mine owed me some cash and gave me the cams in payment. He owed me $230.00 so I would like to get close to that out of them. That would save you about $120.00 They are brand new. I used a hot cam on a Honda 250 and it pulled harder through the entire power band.

E---

• ca412686

Posted February 18, 2007 - 04:01 PM

I have both intake and exhaust in my 2006 YZ450. I also had a high compression piston, port and polish, and the crank lightened and balanced all at the same time. Mines for Supermoto use on road courses. I know it has added to the high rpm side, Im able to run down KTM 560's on the long straights. It all depends on what you're looking for, and what kind of racing you're doing. Hope this helps

• ncmountainman

Posted February 19, 2007 - 07:38 AM

hey big john, i have a 05 450 and am about the same size as you. i needed more power off the bottom and opted for a crower G1 intake cam. same lift less duration. this allows the intake valves to close better giving more power off the bottom. the SX fellers use this cam to shoot them off the tight jumps. i'll be starting the bike for the 1st time with it in today or tomorrow,i'll let ya know:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dolce_Grappa

Posted February 19, 2007 - 08:11 AM

I've used them in both '02 YZ426 and '04 YZ450, i feel that the power was spread towards the upper end of the RPM range. Which is what i was shooting for. I haven't tried any other cams for comparison, sorry. I generally ride motocross w/ 14/47 gearing combo and FMF 4.1 exhaust.

• bigjohn450

Posted February 19, 2007 - 03:46 PM

mountainman, you will have to give a ride report and let me know thanks.

• Ga450owner

Posted February 20, 2007 - 06:09 AM

hey big john, i have a 05 450 and am about the same size as you. i needed more power off the bottom and opted for a crower G1 intake cam. same lift less duration. this allows the intake valves to close better giving more power off the bottom. the SX fellers use this cam to shoot them off the tight jumps. i'll be starting the bike for the 1st time with it in today or tomorrow,i'll let ya know:thumbsup:

I use this on my 03 and it definitely pulls better....

• dwnlowx

Posted February 20, 2007 - 08:31 AM

i am have ing mine installed right now at the dealer ,they raped me 150 for install i was pissed its only a 45 min job but any ways my buddy has em on his honda 450 and it was insane i could not keep up with him

• grayracer513

Posted February 20, 2007 - 10:20 AM

i was pissed its only a 45 min job

You saw the estimate and signed the work order, what's your problem? If it's so easy, why didn't you do it yourself?

• ncmountainman

Posted February 21, 2007 - 08:05 AM

I use this on my 03 and it definitely pulls better....

well you got that right! its definately what it was lacking....dang thing'll pull stumps now:thumbsup: i highly reccomend it for tight offroad,not only does it add bottom but its the useable;tractable kind. and there was no loss of top end. i was afraid it was gonna make the bottom too twitchy but i'm totally happy with the results. it costs $300+ for just the intake cam(which is designed to be used with your stock exhaust cam) but worth it(it comes with the gear degreed,just drop it in) if you want bottom end:thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted February 21, 2007 - 08:15 AM

well you got that right! its definately what it was lacking....dang thing'll pull stumps now:thumbsup: i highly reccomend it for tight offroad,not only does it add bottom but its the useable;tractable kind. and there was no loss of top end. i was afraid it was gonna make the bottom too twitchy but i'm totally happy with the results. it costs $300+ for just the intake cam(which is designed to be used with your stock exhaust cam) but worth it(it comes with the gear degreed,just drop it in) if you want bottom end:thumbsup:

I found out about these years ago from someone building Kyle Lewis's motors....make the 450 a holeshot king :applause:

• dwnlowx

Posted February 21, 2007 - 08:37 AM

<grayracer> maybe they take an hour j/k

well i just got my 450 back yesterday and the cams are are well worth the money i didnt really give it full throttle yet but i did go about 3/4 of the way and it was a very strong power in the mid and top end i cant wait till this weekend to really compare when im riding with my buddy and his stock 2004 525 ktm we have been very close he allways pulls by me on the top in 4th not no more

• Drfletcherdc

Posted February 21, 2007 - 08:56 AM

I have been thinking of the cams also. Do they affect the reliablility of the motor?

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.