Spark Plugs

4 replies to this topic
  • motopsycho650

Posted February 17, 2007 - 10:04 AM

I'm just curious. Has anyone had any noticeable results from upgrading the spark plug on a 650R? I've been using stock NKG's, but was wondering about buying a platinum, 2 prong or 4 prong plug. Is there a benifit?

I'm planning to match stock temp & gap.

• Hondathumper450

Posted February 17, 2007 - 11:46 AM

I just bought a NGK Iridium Spark plug which is suppose to be better than the platnium. Guess I will know whether it is good or bad or no difference when the time comes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hondathumper450

Posted February 18, 2007 - 01:46 PM

Finally put the irdium NGK plug in and get my bike back together. I had another post about how hard my Pig was to start when cold. I never made any changes except for the plug and it started in 6 kicks. The third kick it fired and the 6 th kick it stayed running. The OEM Plug was black and asked if the Pig neded a hotter plug after it was uncorked due to more gas anmd air mixture going through the engine. It was harder than all get out to start before and starts so much nicer now. Not sure if it was the NGK Iridium plug but I do know it is so much easier to start

• 2000 xr650r

Posted February 18, 2007 - 06:01 PM

I bet your bike would start a lot better if you got the jetting tuned in. My 650r starts 1-2 kicks weather its 0 degrees or 100 degrees.

• asf

Posted March 12, 2007 - 10:34 AM

Just as a general warning I've been buying plugs from Cycle Gear and they are supposed to be pre-gapped. They are gapped about a tenth of an inch too wide according to my repair manual. Just a friendly reminder to make sure and check the gap before you toss em in.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.