Best Method to Get the Master Link on for a new O Ring Chain?

8 replies to this topic
  • twenty34

Posted February 16, 2007 - 09:11 PM

Best Method to Get the Master Link on for a new O Ring Chain? Needs some sort of clamp? Even without using the o-rings, it's not really able to go on.

• grayracer513

Posted February 16, 2007 - 09:17 PM

The good ones use a press fit master link for greater strength and reliability. Use a C clamp or a pair of Vise-Grips, with a nut or similar placed over the outside plate to let the pins come through, and work it all the way on until the clip fits completely into the groove.

• twenty34

Posted February 16, 2007 - 09:30 PM

Cool, thanks...Hadn't thought of that...I'll giver er a try.:censored:

• Cpres

Posted February 16, 2007 - 09:33 PM

I use a motion pro mini chain press. http://www.motionpro...ain_press_tool/ It makes short work of press fit type masterlinks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1rkcooper

Posted February 16, 2007 - 10:09 PM

After you get the clip in the groove, take a flat screwdriver and pry the link back out so that it puts a bit of pressure on the clip. This will give a little more insurance that the clip won't fall off.

• grayracer513

Posted February 16, 2007 - 10:15 PM

Regina makes an even nicer one. But you can improvise if you prefer not to buy one.

Posted Image

Posted February 17, 2007 - 06:28 AM

I put mine on with the clip on the inside, so if the link fails and it comes off while riding,it doesnt hit my case..anybody else do this..??

• rexbond007

Posted February 17, 2007 - 08:23 AM

i find the cheap links are hard to clip on , the name brand, more expensive like Gray says are very easy to to snap into place. no tools required, just a flat screw driver to slide the cer-clip into place.

• grayracer513

Posted February 17, 2007 - 08:47 AM

Just to clarify, the master link plate of the the higher quality chains, like the Reginas I use, has to be pressed into place on the ML pins, and does require a tool of some kind to do the job, as discussed above. This is done to make the link stronger, as the fit of the plate on the pins does most of the work of holding it in place, and so that there is no clearance between the plate and pins to allow the pins to work loose at their base over time. The clip just keeps the plate from ever working outward.

But, as Rex points out, once the link is pressed completely together, the clip in a good chain slips right into the groove without a problem, unlike some cheaper chains.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.