BRP Lowering Question

4 replies to this topic
  • 415ZR1

Posted February 16, 2007 - 03:12 PM

I'm usually about seven years behind, but finally bought a new '06 BRP. Found all the nifty sites and am currently fixing, greasing, changing fork oil and attending to all the other maintenance issues Honda has failed to address.

Did several forum searches but could not find an answer. I installed a Kouba lowering link and intially would like to slide the fork tubes up around 30mm-40mm to match the 1.5" lowered rear. Found lots of references and even pics showing the fork tubes raised about the same amount I'm considering.

Question least on my 2006 BRP, the fork tubes are tapered about 1mm less in diameter (46mm to 45mm) just below the upper triple clamp to just above the lower clamp. If one slides the fork tubes up more than 10mm-15mm, than the upper clamp will have to clamp on the tapered or reduced fork tube diameter area. The pinch area of the clamps look like they should be able to pinch the tapered area but just doesn't set well with me. Is this a concern...or have others been doing this all along w/o problems?

Intend to have the foks internally "lowered" later this spring. I am a fairly decent wrench-turner. Can these "lowering" spacers be fabbed and installed by an amateur or is this best left to a shop?

• needsprayer

Posted February 16, 2007 - 07:41 PM

I have the kouba link with GPR fat bar stabilizer kit (Pro Taper handlebars) . The GPR kit raises the handlebars and allowed me to set the forks 31mm above the triple clamp. Bike is balanced front to rear with no problems (over two years).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 415ZR1

Posted February 17, 2007 - 08:15 AM

Read your previous posts on the subject. The GPR is something I will consider. Are the fork tubes on your BRP tapered just below the top clamp? If so, has this tapered area been a concern when the fork tubes were raised?

• needsprayer

Posted February 17, 2007 - 12:10 PM

I used a Jorgensen wood clamp (sorry no vernier caliper) :censored: and metric tape to measure the fork tube above and below the top triple clamp. There was a 1mm difference. Visual inspection showed that the triple clamp gap at the bottom is smaller than the gap at the top (tightened to recommended torque). No problems.

• 415ZR1

Posted February 17, 2007 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for the reassurance.

The clamps pinch down just fine in the reduced diameter area but thought I should ask rather than break parts needlessly.

At some point, will look into making or purchasing a top clamp that allows the forks to slide up 30mm and still clamp near the top of the fork tube.

Nice trick with the wood clamp. Definite Red Green material.

Related Content

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.