Is this bad?

15 replies to this topic
  • averagebloke

Posted February 16, 2007 - 11:34 AM

Hi all, I posted yesterday re cam chain noise. Today I took the rocker cover and flywheel of my 426. The chain is new, and the tensioner and guides are fine.
The only thing I'm not sure of is the crank sprocket - see photo from this link.

http://i29.photobuck...h/crankspkt.jpg

Is this bad enough to cause chain noise? And more importantly is this worn enough to allow the chain to jump at the bottom?
There's nothing wrong with the tension when it's static.
Cheers

• Butta

Posted February 16, 2007 - 12:53 PM

Well, from what I can see in the picture, the teeth faces are worn quite a bit. Undoubtedly, this is creating some sort of noise (whether it come from the abnormalities that are there or the continued progression of the abnormal wear). I doubt it would cause the chain to "jump" teeth, but I would bet any good engine builder would advise you to replace it....I know, this isn't cheap/easy, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Just my $0.02

• grayracer513

Posted February 16, 2007 - 01:59 PM

Looks usable to me.

• averagebloke

Posted February 16, 2007 - 02:42 PM

Thanks for that. Funny how we listen to what we want to hear the most.
Got a season of hare scrambles starting soon so fingers crossed.
I will price up a new crankshaft anyway.
BTW I don't suppose anyone ever had the sprocket built up again?

Any other thoughts welcome. Cheers.

• Butta

Posted February 16, 2007 - 05:34 PM

Looks usable to me.

Gray's usually right on the money with things, so you'll be okay. The hard part is going to be ignoring the sounds of the motor that are exaggerated by your fears of it breaking.

• grayracer513

Posted February 16, 2007 - 05:46 PM

Just be sure there is nothing else causing a noise that indicates harm being done. Just because you're sure it's the cam chain doesn't mean it is.

• Soren172

Posted February 16, 2007 - 06:05 PM

I'm with Gray racer on the noise thing, it could be something total different. Noise can travel through the whole bike, it could be something so simple. Just my .02cents:thumbsup:

• averagebloke

Posted February 17, 2007 - 03:53 AM

Cheers for that. As any of you who have heard cam chain noise it is very distinctive. in my case you can even pin point it to making the noise on the front guide area.

I can't usally put these things out of my mind, but having found no mechanical issues, I think I'm just going to have to get on and ride.

We buy these things to enjoy - so it starts today :-)
If I'm unlucky so be it. Thanks for the advice fellas.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamirider5588

Posted February 17, 2007 - 04:10 AM

Once I heard a weird noise coming from my engine . This strange noise started shortly after I had shimmed the valves . I just knew something was about to let go . :censored:

Turns out , it was the drive chain slapping on the swing arm . Tightened it up a little and wha-la , no more cam noise ! :ride:

• PATHPOUNDER

Posted February 17, 2007 - 06:32 AM

I believe thumpertalk has that crank for 270.00....I believe I priced it once before..

• PATHPOUNDER

Posted February 17, 2007 - 06:36 AM

The first 6 months I had my 426, the noises drove me crazy...I was always thinking , this things gonna blow up..I put new sprockets, chain , slider on and eliminated 80 percent of the racket coming from down under..I also replaced the cam chain...now I just ride..

• ericyzf4

Posted February 17, 2007 - 07:13 AM

Think about using a manual cam chain tensioner.

• grayracer513

Posted February 17, 2007 - 09:26 AM

Think about using a manual cam chain tensioner.

Why? Don't have enough to do without constantly managing the cam chain tension?

• averagebloke

Posted February 17, 2007 - 12:51 PM

It's odd how so many people have this thing about auto cam chain tensioners. Unless you ride an '80s Honda road bike they're usually reliable- if maintained.

Is that 270 US for a crank? Wow that's cheap- even in pounds. I expected double that.

My noise is present when stationary too. I can't hear it when riding cos of all the other mechanical drama going on down there- and my laughing at how much fun these bikes are.

• grayracer513

Posted February 17, 2007 - 01:17 PM

It's odd how so many people have this thing about auto cam chain tensioners. Unless you ride an '80s Honda road bike they're usually reliable- if maintained.

The design employed by Yamaha is so simple and foolproof that it's truly ingenious. Having seen the designs used in many different OHC setups in cars and bikes alike, this one is simply brilliant.

• adz_244

Posted February 18, 2007 - 05:06 AM

ultimatepursuits.co.uk advertise a hot rods heavy duty complete crank kit for the 450 for 229pound may be worth tryin them for one to fit yours

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.