7 yrs old, still runs perfect! Sell for a 450?

Here are a couple of pictures of my 2000 YZ426F taken a couple of days ago. I absolutely love this bike, however, I rode a friends '06 YZ450 and was jealous of the soft, light, plush feel. The power didn't feel much different (his bike is 100% stock though). I recently rebuilt my forks, but it still does not feel quite as nice. Is it because of the alum. frame? I considered selling this one and buying an '07 450, but can't seem to seperate myself from it. I installed a 450 exhaust cam last week so that I can just kick and go. We'll see how that works out. Any suggestions for fork and rear shock settings for a 200 pound rider? I do not ride to hard, I just wan't to cruise around in the desert and on the dunes without beating myself to death. I mainly cruise around with the kids and friends at a moderate pace. Any other mods that are worth while? What do you think?

DSC01680.jpg

DSC01679.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of my 2000 YZ426F taken a couple of days ago. I absolutely love this bike, however, I rode a friends '06 YZ450 and was jealous of the soft, light, plush feel. The power didn't feel much different (his bike is 100% stock though). I recently rebuilt my forks, but it still does not feel quite as nice. Is it because of the alum. frame? I considered selling this one and buying an '07 450, but can't seem to seperate myself from it. I installed a 450 exhaust cam last week so that I can just kick and go. We'll see how that works out. Any suggestions for fork and rear shock settings for a 200 pound rider? I do not ride to hard, I just wan't to cruise around in the desert and on the dunes without beating myself to death. I mainly cruise around with the kids and friends at a moderate pace. Any other mods that are worth while? What do you think?

DSC01680.jpg

DSC01679.jpg

If expense allows, just do what I did and keep the 426 as a backup. It does come in handy.

0602sideby.jpg

I seem to have the same "boss" as you. Long ago, I adopted the philosophy "it is better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission". That is, as long as I am already a good steward with our finances. Besides even when I do show up with 'cool factor' stuff for her, like your mule, I still get bombarded with a battery of questions and interrogation!!

Jeff

DSC01680.jpg

DSC01679.jpg

Oh ya, If your suspension has been revalved by MB1, I would go with their initial setup and set rear sag at 100mm. I had my 426 stiffened up for larger jump/sand tracks, but actually changed back to stock springs, front and rear, and had my suspension shop do a revalve..bla bla. I am also running Enzo sub tanks on my forks and that has made a big difference. The new setup for me seems to be a better all-around for track/trail. Were your forks revalved for your lbs and skill level?

I have never owned a bike for the sole purpose of it being a back-up bike. Do all Yamaha owners have back-up bikes?

This Yamaha rider does not have a backup bike. There just comes a point where you are better off keeping the bike as a backup or for visiting friends then try to sell it for pennies. Dirtbikes lose their value big time.

This Yamaha rider does not have a backup bike. There just comes a point where you are better off keeping the bike as a backup or for visiting friends then try to sell it for pennies. Dirtbikes lose their value big time.

I was just joking. If you can afford to keep the old one I think it is a great idea no matter what kind of bike you own.

I recently rebuilt my forks, but it still does not feel quite as nice. Is it because of the alum. frame?

You should be able to fine-tune your rebuilt suspension to be as plush as you want. Did you rebuild the shock too, if not you're only half way done. Also the newer aluminum frames are more ridgid than the old cromoly steel 426 frames.

You should be able to fine-tune your rebuilt suspension to be as plush as you want.
Don't think so. I've ridden '03 and '04 bikes with everything Enzo could do to them done, and one with a set of $6000 RG3 forks. They weren't as good as the '06 is out of the box. At least not in as wide a range of situations.

And some of it is due to the frame, although not directly. The way Yamaha has centralized so much of the mass of the bike as near to the CG as possible improves everything about how it handles and how well the suspension works. The whole bike is quite an achievement.

No, I didn't have the forks re-valved. I just put new seals, wipers, bushings and oil. I actually haven't even looked into it. From what I understand, the bikes are set-up for someone in the 150-175 range so it would make sense to re-valve. I really don't wan't to spend a ton of money to make the suspension better, I just wanted to adjust what I have and get the best result for my weight. The rear shock is stock, never rebuilt. The bike has less than 50 hours on it. Don't really know how often that should be. I think I'll keep it for a while especially considering the price of a new one and the fact that I only ride one every couple of months. Thanks for the feedback.