More Exhaust questions

6 replies to this topic
  • drtbk4ever

Posted February 16, 2007 - 09:10 AM

OK guys, I hate to do this but here we go again, another exhaust question. I have read almost every thread on exhausts but would like input on my specific situation.

I have a Canadian 2004 WR450, currently running stock exhaust, with stock insert. I don't really want to spend big bucks on a new pipe so.......

I tried the bike without the stock insert and it was way too noisy.
So I bought a used YZ pipe this winter (haven't tried it yet) but am thinking I made a mistake buying this pipe. :censored:

Will the YZ pipe be as noisy as the uncorked WR pipe?
Does the YZ pipe have a spark arrestor?

Maybe I should have spent my money on a new insert, either a GYTR or a ProMoto Billet. But which one do you guys prefer?

Any used inserts sitting on a shelf out there?

So go ahead and flame me, but please share your opinions too.

Thanks.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted February 16, 2007 - 09:56 AM

Why would anyone flame you?????

I have the promoto billet insert. Its noticably bigger than then stock insert with the plug removed. It has plenty of power and more than I will ever use.

Its nice and quiet too. As a matter of fact, I went riding with some buddies and got seperated. My pipe with the pmb insert was so quiet that they could hardly hear me.

Try it for $60 bucks.

• lowry

Posted February 16, 2007 - 11:52 AM

OK guys, I hate to do this but here we go again, another exhaust question. I have read almost every thread on exhausts but would like input on my specific situation.

I have a Canadian 2004 WR450, currently running stock exhaust, with stock insert. I don't really want to spend big bucks on a new pipe so.......

I tried the bike without the stock insert and it was way too noisy.
So I bought a used YZ pipe this winter (haven't tried it yet) but am thinking I made a mistake buying this pipe. :censored:

Will the YZ pipe be as noisy as the uncorked WR pipe?
Does the YZ pipe have a spark arrestor?

Maybe I should have spent my money on a new insert, either a GYTR or a ProMoto Billet. But which one do you guys prefer?

Any used inserts sitting on a shelf out there?

So go ahead and flame me, but please share your opinions too.

Thanks.

I have the gytr insert, it's quite enough but the bike is definitely more powerful without it. I don't really like it and it's making me want to buy a new pipe.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drtbk4ever

Posted February 18, 2007 - 08:14 AM

Why would anyone flame you?????

I have the promoto billet insert. Its noticably bigger than then stock insert with the plug removed. It has plenty of power and more than I will ever use.

Its nice and quiet too. As a matter of fact, I went riding with some buddies and got seperated. My pipe with the pmb insert was so quiet that they could hardly hear me.

Try it for $60 bucks.

Thanks Maurice, that is the kind of input I was looking for.

Anybody else have an opinion?

• chrispy1202

Posted February 20, 2007 - 09:33 AM

If you already bought a YZ pipe for it, why not try it? I put one on my '03 450and love it. Has more power and sound great. I may be deaf, but it doesn't seem too loud to me.
Cheers
Chris.

• drtbk4ever

Posted February 21, 2007 - 10:19 AM

If you already bought a YZ pipe for it, why not try it? I put one on my '03 450and love it. Has more power and sound great. I may be deaf, but it doesn't seem too loud to me.
Cheers
Chris.

Chris, that is a damned logical idea. :applause:

I guess I had it in my mind that I wouldn't be happy with the YZ exhaust, so was looking for alternatives. But since I have it in the garage, I may as well try it out, cause it's not going to cost me anything.

Now, all I need is the temperatures to get above freezing and the snow to melt and I'll give it a go.

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted February 21, 2007 - 03:51 PM

I just received the Pro Moto Billet Silencer insert for my '07. It is a sturdy piece of stainless steel to be sure. And it has a substantially larger diameter than the stock silencer with the restrictor removed.

Essentially, the outside diameter of the silencer pipe is slightly larger than the orifice in the stock muffler end cap and must be forcefully pressed thru the end cap.

It will be interesting to see if other jetting mods will be needed to compensate for the larger exit hole.

-Jay

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.