What Color Or Color Combination???

5 replies to this topic
  • Kawabuggy

Posted February 16, 2007 - 08:01 AM

I recently purchased a '93 XR600R. The bike is in need of all new plastics and the tank needs something done to it colorwise. SO, I have a few questions and I was wanting some personal opinions-as well as PICTURES-if you have them to post.

My tank was painted ORANGE by the previous owner. I think he was trying for a red, but missed the mark horribly. Now that paint is bubbling from exposure to gas I presume. It looks to be on there pretty thick as well.

Anyways, I was thinking about going with either all white plastics-to include stripping the tank down and repainting it white, or all red plastics to include the tank. Since I have to purchase everything new except the tank, it will be easy to purchase all of the plastics in the color I want. Where I really need help is on the seat cover, and what color, if any, should I have on the side plastics?

I really want a factory looking seat cover that has the "XR600R" logo on it. What color????????? Then the question comes in about graphics.. What graphics should I put on the bike?? I was thinking that once I apply the graphics, I am going to clear coat over each panel (that has graphics) to further protect them from scratches and to hopefully prevent them from pealing. Is that advisable?

Next, is there any place that I can purchase all of the plastics at one time, like in kit form? Or, do I have to order each piece individually?

I have seen that some of the factory side panels have a color pattern applied to them. Is that painted on? Do they come that way when I purchase them new?

Your opinions count-which color, or color scheme/combination should I go with?

• timothypg

Posted February 16, 2007 - 08:30 AM

Hi. I sanded and buffed the scratches out of my tank and thought a clear coat would be a good idea, I got some that said it would work on plastic, well it pealed off. I also was looking for a seat cover and had trouble finding the blue w/ xr600r logo. I had an upholsterer do it, no logo, for $80.00 and it is working out good.

• drtlvr

Posted February 16, 2007 - 01:28 PM

heres my 94 work in progress

Attached Thumbnails

• new bike pics 001.jpg
  • new bike pics 004.jpg
  • new bike pics 005.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xrltim

Posted February 16, 2007 - 03:30 PM

I got my bike all decked out in Black and White. The black is just plastic spray paint and surprisingly it has lasted pretty well. I've scuffed it up a bit but other than that it's ok. Here is a pic. This pic shows the stock tail light and luggage rack, I've since removed them and put in an Acerbis unit before breaking the stock one.
Posted Image

• tymbom

Posted February 19, 2007 - 10:42 PM

XRLTim are you in Scotia Ca. ?

• mikesbaron

Posted February 20, 2007 - 07:20 AM

Though this is the 400, I always liked this simple black,red and white color scheme. Its the same one Scott Summers used to roll back in 1997.

Related Content

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.