need a rear wheel with cush drive (rubber mount for sproket)

7 replies to this topic
  • keesha

Posted February 15, 2007 - 07:23 PM

:applause::censored: G'day mate from down under in Aussy. Would somebody very kindly please let me know if there is any kind of wheel that will fit my 1994 XR600, that has a cush drive (rubber in the hub that cushions impact on the sproket). :applause: Honda's XL series had cush drives but the enduro and MX models do not, their sprokets bolt to the hub metal to metal. My XR is in the shop right now because it has srtipped the splines of the drive shaft for the third time. Very expesive to fix, lots of labour.:moon: I think a cush drive will stop it stripping the shaft, as its caused by too much riding on sealed roads. I don't care what sort of wheel, even off a road bike will do. I want function, not looks. I have heard a Suzuki GSX400 wheel fits with some minor modifications. Will an XL wheel fit? Thanks.:ride: Do you know anywhere I could inquire that might know? :lol: :applause:

• cleonard

Posted February 15, 2007 - 08:20 PM

What kind of sprockets do you run? Some of the cheap aftermarket sprockets have thinner poorly machined splines. This contributes to the wear of the countershaft.

• keesha

Posted February 15, 2007 - 10:11 PM

Thanks for replying cleonard. Good point. The first shaft failure was when the bike just ran out of warranty and at that stage I had not changed anything on the bike other than removed the exhaust restricter and opened the airbox intakes and rejetted. So the sproket was a genuine Honda. After the shaft failed I put a genuine Honda drive sproket back on, but alas failure again. I weigh 100kg and do lots of 90km/h (60mph) travel on tar. I can feel the chain and sprokets hammering away at each otehr as I ride and if you follow an XR on the tar you'll see that long chain flops up and down madly at speed. I was reading some earlier posts here (search on "cush drive") and someone posted a message that Honda has fixed the problem for teh 650 range by differnet cushing spings in the cluch, which give a similar effect to a cush drive. Someone also said they machined a KTM cush drive to suit their XR 650. I'm surprised no 1 has found a cush drive wheel that fits the XRs, especially those guys that make those moto-street-bikes out of XRs.

• -Robbie-

Posted February 16, 2007 - 01:24 AM

Mate there is a range of sprockets that have tapered mounting bolt holes and matched rubber spacers to absorb some shock and act like a bit of a cush drive, they are available in Aus because they were advertised in ADB or
Dirt Action a while ago.
Found them, look here for a review ,company that makes them is Prepel.
http://www.fullnoise...ts=186200635522
Check with your local bike shop for them
Hmmm the whole link doesnt seem to be coming up, click it and try anyway.
Robbie

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • keesha

Posted February 17, 2007 - 03:18 AM

Wow Robbie thanks for your reply, iI have been searching on thhe net for a long time for anything useful about cush drives and the rubber sleeved bolts you linked to look the most promisng yet. Great.

• MindBlower

Posted February 17, 2007 - 11:29 AM

Wow Robbie thanks for your reply, iI have been searching on thhe net for a long time for anything useful about cush drives and the rubber sleeved bolts you linked to look the most promisng yet. Great.

The link to the manufacturers website doesnt' work, but I agree this is very interesting!:censored:

• porterdog

Posted February 18, 2007 - 08:25 AM

Might end up a really spendy solution, but there is a company Stateside that has engaged a US hub manufacturer to build cush hubs for conversions.

www.woodyswheelworks.com is building wheelsets from special Eagle hubs; I spoke to them on Friday about this very thing. The cush hub is ~$200US more than the standard hub.
hth,
Robert

• keesha

Posted February 19, 2007 - 02:32 AM

thanks porterdog and mindblower and Robbiw and cleonard earlier. TT is a great site and looks like thanks to you guys I have some solutions to look into. mUch appreciated! :applause:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.