Thanks For Input: Kdx-out, Xr600-in

6 replies to this topic
  • firffighter

Posted February 15, 2007 - 10:13 AM

Thanks for the help in deciding whether to get a XR600 or not. This site has been great. I sold the KDX and found a pristine 1993 XR600 for $2000. The price was a little high, but this is a truly low mile bike. It still has the original front tire on it with very little use. All the plastic and seat are in perfect conditon. There is a little paint rubbed off on the frame from the boots, but that was it. It even came with some nice goodies, like a Clarke tank, Protaper bars, supertrapp, Renthal sprockets and O-ring chain, suspension just gone through with new seals, oil, etc., and a Barnett clutch. I have only ridden it in our field so far because of our nice Oregon winter weather, but I have been very impressed. It doesn't feel all that heavy to me, and the power comes on nice and smooth. It definitely isnt as flickable as my KDX, but I will be doing most of my riding in desert trail and forest service roads. I am going to try a 13 tooth countershaft sprocket just to see if that would work for when I go trail riding in the tight stuff. Now I need to figure out how to dual sport it. I have a bit of a problem as the title is from Washington and has been branded with off road only use. I may be able to get around this with some sneaking around. I can apply for a lost title since I live in Oregon and the bike was never titled in Oregon. The guy I bought it from is from Oregon and never transferred the title. The other idea is that I kept my license plate, and registration from the KDX when I sold it, and I could just put that on the XR. If I were to get stopped and they run the plate, I would assume it would come up as a Kawasaki 200 registered in my name ( the guy who bought my KDX is going to ride it off road only, so didnt want the registration ), and there arent any Honda stickers on the XR. Not sure which way to go. Anyone run in to this with dual sporting there bike? Anyway, sorry for going on too long, but I am excited to be in the big thumper family.
Thanks

• Whiteman

Posted February 15, 2007 - 01:52 PM

Thanks for the help in deciding whether to get a XR600 or not. This site has been great. I sold the KDX and found a pristine 1993 XR600 for $2000. The price was a little high, but this is a truly low mile bike. It still has the original front tire on it with very little use. All the plastic and seat are in perfect conditon. There is a little paint rubbed off on the frame from the boots, but that was it. It even came with some nice goodies, like a Clarke tank, Protaper bars, supertrapp, Renthal sprockets and O-ring chain, suspension just gone through with new seals, oil, etc., and a Barnett clutch. I have only ridden it in our field so far because of our nice Oregon winter weather, but I have been very impressed. It doesn't feel all that heavy to me, and the power comes on nice and smooth. It definitely isnt as flickable as my KDX, but I will be doing most of my riding in desert trail and forest service roads. I am going to try a 13 tooth countershaft sprocket just to see if that would work for when I go trail riding in the tight stuff. Now I need to figure out how to dual sport it. I have a bit of a problem as the title is from Washington and has been branded with off road only use. I may be able to get around this with some sneaking around. I can apply for a lost title since I live in Oregon and the bike was never titled in Oregon. The guy I bought it from is from Oregon and never transferred the title. The other idea is that I kept my license plate, and registration from the KDX when I sold it, and I could just put that on the XR. If I were to get stopped and they run the plate, I would assume it would come up as a Kawasaki 200 registered in my name ( the guy who bought my KDX is going to ride it off road only, so didnt want the registration ), and there arent any Honda stickers on the XR. Not sure which way to go. Anyone run in to this with dual sporting there bike? Anyway, sorry for going on too long, but I am excited to be in the big thumper family.
Thanks

Words just words, I want to see pictures.

• platterdr

Posted February 15, 2007 - 04:31 PM

I have had many xr's and one KDX both are great bullet proof bikes IMO so you can never go wrong with either bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • firffighter

Posted February 16, 2007 - 05:08 PM

I will try to get some pics up soon. Are there any good mods to get me started?
How do the XR's only wide pegs work?

• bork

Posted February 17, 2007 - 05:57 AM

Paint it green & put 200 on it. Heheheh

• firffighter

Posted February 27, 2007 - 11:15 AM

I am looking for advice on some upgrades. I am looking at the IMS or XR's only foot pegs and the XR's only chain guide. I am thinking of Pirelli
MT21 for tires since I plan on doing some dual sporting. Is the SRC fork brace worth the $ or should I save up for a GPR damper? Any thoughts on all of this? I am loving the bike so far. Cant wait for a break in the weather to really see what she can do.

• creeky

Posted February 27, 2007 - 12:55 PM

On the footpegs, if you are a cheapskate like me, you can take an old peg, saw it in half and weld a half to each stock peg to make them wider. On the MT 21s, depends on how much and what kind of off-roading you want to do. I tried a pair one time and hated them off-road.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.