Need Someone to Clarify Difference

9 replies to this topic
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 14, 2007 - 10:02 PM

Let me change this as my question has now changed, for the price i can get a Dr. D with SA and Quite Core for 301 shipped. but i like how the Factor 4.1 FMF pipe looks on the bike. but its going to cost almost 400 bucks after you add the SA to it. which slip on is going to provide the most gains most in the lower to mid range. i know Dr. D is great in this area.
thanks
Aaron

• clark4131

Posted February 14, 2007 - 10:29 PM

You have an '06, so you can't get the Powercore in Aluminum as they don't make one for that year. May be they will in the future, but who knows? The 4.1 is a race can, loud as hell. You can retrofit it with a spark arrestor, but I don't believe there's a quiet core for it. Take a look at this picture...

Posted Image

The bikes on top are from Yamaha's galleries...from left to right, '06 WR, '06 YZ, '07 WR. The bottom two are my '05 with the FMF and the new Dr. D, and yes, I mounted a YZ fender on my WR. You can see the Dr. D, though longer than the FMF, is still shorter than the stock cans. I personally don't have a problem with it being longer...I guess it's a size doesn't matter thing with me. Anyway, this little collage ought to give you some perspective. Hope it helps...SC

• clark4131

Posted February 14, 2007 - 10:37 PM

Let me change this as my question has now changed, for the price i can get a Dr. D with SA and Quite Core for 301 shipped. but i like how the Factor 4.1 FMF pipe looks on the bike. but its going to cost almost 400 bucks after you add the SA to it. which slip on is going to provide the most gains most in the lower to mid range. i know Dr. D is great in this area.
thanks
Aaron

The Dr.D SA can also be removed to turn it into a full race can. I believe they're going to be comparable in performance, you're only hitch is appearance and $100. Dr.D has gotten rave reviews from both consumers and the trade mags, but so has FMF. Also, Dubach is a Yamaha factory test rider. Either way you go, you can't go wrong. It's just that one way is more expensive than the other. One last thing to remember is that the Dr.D comes with the quiet core, while the 4.1 doesn't have one available for it. You do live in the PRC and no matter where you're riding, regardless of it being open desert or a suburban backyard, it will eventually make a difference..SC

• Derwud

Posted February 15, 2007 - 04:52 PM

1) FMF will never get another Dime from me after I bought a pipe for my YZ and it didn't fit. I called thier tech line and they told me to dent the pipe so it would fit. I said thank you and hung up. I returned the pipe for a P.C. unit that fit perfectly.

2) Big Gun has been good to me, and I have never had a problem with thier pipes and they seem to make good power over stock.

3) When I got the '07 WR, I wanted to try something different a friend bought a DR.D for his Raptor and he really liked the fit and finish of the DR.D and said it made more power than Big Gun Powered Raptor, so I got one. I am VERY pleased with my DR.D and would recomend them to anyone looking for a 4 stroke pipe.

• Island Boy

Posted February 16, 2007 - 07:20 AM

What he said (Derwud2)... I went with the DR.D full race on my 07 (no restrictions where i live)... Great fit, power is amazing and smooth throughout the curve. There's definitely noise but it's not deafening, the growl and grunt sounds really good. All the XR 650's down here on the island run Big Guns. The DR.D on the WR sounds distinctively different... the XR's don't know what to think... still a little 'shock and awe' going on at the moment...:censored:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CJ06WR

Posted February 28, 2007 - 03:35 PM

123Bigcoopdawg756,

I am thinking about the Dr. D or the White Brothers E2 for my 06 WR450. I am waiting for SC to update his thread on the Dr. D he just installed on his bike. My question for you is where can you get the Dr. D for $301.00? That's a damn good price. Please let me know...Thanks.

• clark4131

Posted February 28, 2007 - 06:28 PM

The $301 price was a special that is no longer available. We just got about 2 feet of snow in my main riding area and I just got in all the parts for my water pump rebuild, so I haven't had a chance to give it a ride...SC

• rapala3182

Posted February 28, 2007 - 08:24 PM

I have the White bros E2 and my friend has the Dr. D uncorked there is no noticable difference. With the quiet cores in the white bros seems to have a little more low end. Both of these were just rated 1 and 2 in one of the dirt bike magazines as tested on 06 wr's. Both of us are happy with the pipes the white bros is a little more compact which may be less prone to damage.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 01, 2007 - 12:50 AM

The $301 price was a special that is no longer available. We just got about 2 feet of snow in my main riding area and I just got in all the parts for my water pump rebuild, so I haven't had a chance to give it a ride...SC

the special price comes and goes, it will be back i have seen up 3 times since i found the site, i emailed them tonight to see when it will be back up. as soon as it is i will be placing an order with them! SC hope the snow melts so you can get the bike out and let it rip, i cant wait for the report.
Coop

ps where did you get the fender bag

• CJ06WR

Posted March 01, 2007 - 05:08 PM

rapala312,

Thanks for the info...Do you remember what mag that info was in? I am still undecided but I will need to make a choice soon or my wife will spend all of our tax money.

SC I am bummed for you...Buy a new pipe, put it on, and then have mother nature dump snow. As much as I hate snow I would still have to go out and test the pipe. I know I would crash and dent the new can but it would be killing me to sit there and look at my new pipe. I hope the snow melts soon and the water pump rebuild goes as planned.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.