wr vs yz

7 replies to this topic
  • dirtbeater

Posted February 14, 2007 - 09:59 PM

I am currently running an 06 wr 250. Love it. I am looking for some more power and I am debating over pipe and cam for the 250, go two smoker, or go 450. In your guys opinions would a yz 450 be good for tight single tracks? Would I need a FWW? I would probably drop a tooth on the front sprocket, I don't think the e-start would be an issue nor the light. I am just wondering if it would be a great trail bike. I would prefer the yz over the wr because of the weight issue. Any info or suggestions, ps I am about 220 lbs if this makes a diiference.

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted February 15, 2007 - 04:59 PM

I am currently running an 06 wr 250. Love it. I am looking for some more power and I am debating over pipe and cam for the 250, go two smoker, or go 450. In your guys opinions would a yz 450 be good for tight single tracks? Would I need a FWW? I would probably drop a tooth on the front sprocket, I don't think the e-start would be an issue nor the light. I am just wondering if it would be a great trail bike. I would prefer the yz over the wr because of the weight issue. Any info or suggestions, ps I am about 220 lbs if this makes a diiference.

Hi dirtbeater,

I debated the 250 vs. 450 thing for a short time and ultimately chose the 450. I weigh about 200lbs. with gear and wanted the power of the 450.

I didn't consider the YZ because I wanted e-start and didn't mind the few extra pounds in penalty weight.

-Jay

• Seabass

Posted February 16, 2007 - 08:21 AM

Are you 220 lbs w/o any riding gear? I weigh 235 lbs w/o gear, probably 250 with gear. I rode a YZ 250f earlier this year and couldn't believe how slow the bikw was after riding my WR 450. The 250f is a fun bike, but not something I'd consider riding everyday. If you're not concerned with an e-start or lights, go with the YZ 450. Dirt Rider did a great shoot out with all the 450 motocrossers and the YZ had a very favorable write up when they tested the bikes on off-road trails. You can do some gearing changes and add some flywheel weight to make the YZ more off road friendly. I've heard the '07 YZ suspension is the best out there.

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted February 16, 2007 - 05:49 PM

I ride single track and pretty much everything else, and my WR 450 couldn't be better. Used to ride an XR 250 and the 450 is much more nimble. The weight isn't an issue for me at all, and I still don't see how the lighter bike outweighs e-start, wide ratio transmission, headlight, heavier flywheel weight, and digital trail computer for a trail machine.

Since you are 220 lbs, you are probably a big guy with a good deal of strength. The only time the weight is an issue is when you have to pick it up. Plus the seat height on the WR is almost an inch shorter than the YZ.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Powerage

Posted March 24, 2007 - 11:55 PM

Thats good to read that last post... I have an xr250, and need something bigger being that im 240lbs. Didnt want to loose that nimble feel that i think my XR has by going with the bigger bike...

SOrry for the HIjack.!

• Tough Guy

Posted March 25, 2007 - 07:58 AM

If you ride tight single track the WR is king. If you ride open terrain or tracks then go with the YZ....

Stall either bike on a nasty switchback or tight spot and the E-start will make you smile...the kick starter will make you struggle.

Chris

• Beejay

Posted March 25, 2007 - 02:13 PM

As mentioned earlier the only problem I find as far as the weight issue on the WR is picking it up after a MLOT (momentary loss of talent).

• Tough Guy

Posted March 25, 2007 - 03:35 PM

As mentioned earlier the only problem I find as far as the weight issue on the WR is picking it up after a MLOT (momentary loss of talent).

Thats funny right there!!! :eek:

I have my own MLOT moments when I ride! :applause:

Chris

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.