seal behind the countershaft sprocket (how do i take it off)

3 replies to this topic
  • ThumperKid250F

Posted February 14, 2007 - 08:58 PM

well the title says it all, my seal is leaking and how do i get that seal out, i hope i dont have to split the cases.

thanks guys

bike 06 yz 450f

• grayracer513

Posted February 14, 2007 - 09:12 PM

Remove the sprocket. Get hold of the sleeve that slips over the countershaft and wiggle it off. Once that's out of the way, it's just a matter of sliding a small screwdriver or pick under the lip of the seal and popping it out. Be sure to replace the sleeve (collar) if it's grooved by the seal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThumperKid250F

Posted February 15, 2007 - 06:57 AM

Remove the sprocket. Get hold of the sleeve that slips over the countershaft and wiggle it off. Once that's out of the way, it's just a matter of sliding a small screwdriver or pick under the lip of the seal and popping it out. Be sure to replace the sleeve (collar) if it's grooved by the seal.

thanks a lot garyracer, thats what i thought but i just wasent sure..

• DaveJ

Posted February 15, 2007 - 10:06 AM

You can also drill through the seal and then screw a screw into it which will push against the case, bringing the seal out. Or just use the screw as something to pull or lever against.

I have not tried this method on this particular seal (so I could be wrong) but I used to do stuff like this all the time on various motors.

Some seals have steel casings which makes this idea a little more likely.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.