dual sport helmet choice?

26 replies to this topic
  • frog13

Posted February 14, 2007 - 02:54 PM

To the point,what do you experienced d/s riders wear and why?

I prefer helmets with a visor,but,not mandatory.---thanks.

• cleonard

Posted February 14, 2007 - 03:20 PM

To the point,what do you experienced d/s riders wear and why?

I prefer helmets with a visor,but,not mandatory.---thanks.

I run a dirt bike helmet and goggles whenever I ride on the dirt at all. I do like my street bike full face helmet better on the road. The problem is that on the dirt the dust gets on the inside of the shield.

• mrazekan

Posted February 14, 2007 - 03:39 PM

Hi Frog,

I really havn't been DS riding for very long, though my friends have known for over a year about my firetrail adventures on my SV650, I think some basics for a road helmet apply as well.

For me, first and foremost, comfort. You don't want to think about your helmet. To me this means lightweight and no pressure points. This will let you wear it all day.

Safety. Dot minimum as is the law on the roads in WA with snell prefered.

Cost. if you will be riding alot off road, you will be falling. I would hate to have to scrap a $300 pretty helmet. I don't want to scratch up my nice road helmet. So it needs to be inexpensive.

I agree with the comment above about dirt on the inside of the visor. I rode my street helmet once off road. man it was dirty. So there will be plenty of venting with an Off Road Helmet.

Everythng else is just bells and whistles. Visor no visor depends on how you ride. Can you get away without goggle straps? Removable liners, nice. Necessary, likely not.

i bought this one just for the looks:HJC

I'll see how it works out.

_h

• RJC

Posted February 14, 2007 - 03:53 PM

Check out Arai XD

• Wuthrich10

Posted February 14, 2007 - 06:59 PM

Dont ride with a motocross helmet on the highway. When you turn your head to look it snaps your neck back. Get a full face for the highway and a good motocross helmet with goggles for the dirt.

• xr650l bum

Posted February 14, 2007 - 07:52 PM

I have been trying out a full face flip up or modular helmet. I have been very happy with it so far. Off road helmet with goggles limits your peripheral vision. Duck bill gets caught in the wind. Flip up makes it easier to stop talk, eat, drink while on the trail with others.

• frog13

Posted February 14, 2007 - 08:58 PM

Hey xr650Lbum;

Good info---thanks to the rest of you folks too.

Any brand name suggestions for the full face/modular---thanks in advance.

• xr650l bum

Posted February 14, 2007 - 09:40 PM

I got an HJC off of ebay. New delivered about 150.00. There are cheaper, and more expensive. I went with middle of the road, and it seemed to have the biggest window allowing the most unobstructed views, and I did not want to spend to much just in case I did not like it! One drawback was that there was no padding on the chin bar. I solved this with a self adhesive heavy duty strip of rubber foam wheather seal. Leave some room so some air can get in so shield doesnt fog. Good luck!

• Whiteman

Posted February 15, 2007 - 02:39 PM

Check out Arai XD

Second that, in dirt take the shield off and use goggles.

• platterdr

Posted February 15, 2007 - 04:28 PM

Dont ride with a motocross helmet on the highway. When you turn your head to look it snaps your neck back. Get a full face for the highway and a good motocross helmet with goggles for the dirt.

Good advice but if you say dual sport that kinda has to do with on/off road kinda hard to carry two helmets. I would go with an off road helmet and goggles a visor with a vent will help keep the helmet from ripping your head off at higher speeds

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wheelnut46

Posted February 15, 2007 - 05:14 PM

I was using a full face helmet for all my riding and it sucked. I didn't worry much about dust getting on the inside of the shield but the street helmet was a lot heavier than my new HJC. I'm not loving the goggles on the street and not sure about sunglasses for the street. My eyes water at speed. The vented visor hasn't given me any trouble on the road.

• InternalCombustion

Posted February 15, 2007 - 07:54 PM

Up until this Fall I was using a Thor SXT with goggles. I do a fair amount of freeway 70-ish riding and the side forces and wind-noise was no fun.

I switched to my Nolan modular. I normally use it for winter or rain riding on the Harley but it works great as a D/S helmet, imho.

• porterdog

Posted February 16, 2007 - 07:10 AM

...with snell prefered.

You sure?

http://www.motorcycl..._helmet_review/

Excellent article.

• hypersthenos

Posted February 16, 2007 - 11:14 AM

That Motorcyclist article was great. They got alot of flack for it too. One of the few examples of where cheaper is better (for the most part). I've been riding mostly off road for so long that I a dirt bike helmet doesn't bother me on the highway. I have a full face road helmet but it makes me feel a bit claustrophobic. Better wind protection though.

• Fingers

Posted February 17, 2007 - 01:01 AM

2 years ago I started my search. Settled on the Schuberth Concept (modular type) after several good write-ups by adventure tourists. I've been very happy but I still have/need a light moto style for shorter rides or when it is hot and I'm wrestling the pig on single track.

• philipstjohn

Posted February 17, 2007 - 04:57 AM

I run a full motorcycle racing helmet, with goggles all the time- never know when your just going to hit the dirt! I do not do the highway- but run at highways speeds often. There is a little wind catch when turning you head a higher speeds, but you can pretend your a jet pilot because "jet pilots don't use rear view mirrors!" :ride: :censored:

• goblin127

Posted February 17, 2007 - 10:05 AM

I've been using a simpson GS3 with face sheild now for two seasons and I'm very happy with it Not great at everything but I'm not sorry I bought it. Not very good when its cold out though.

• MindBlower

Posted February 17, 2007 - 11:40 AM

I was using a full face helmet for all my riding and it sucked. I didn't worry much about dust getting on the inside of the shield but the street helmet was a lot heavier than my new HJC. I'm not loving the goggles on the street and not sure about sunglasses for the street. My eyes water at speed. The vented visor hasn't given me any trouble on the road.

I wear a pair of bicycle sunglasses on the street in the summer with my HJC. They have large rap around lenses that fit close to your eyes/face, seal very well against the wind. Mine came with 4 different sets of lenses for different lighting conditions. I paid $50 for mine, Bolle brand. They're really nice too, very good optical quality and stuff like the rubbery noseguards and temple pads get tackier when they are wet (sweat). Nice for exercising too, I got mine for biking.

• gringo1450

Posted February 17, 2007 - 01:39 PM

Second that, in dirt take the shield off and use goggles.

The Arai would be perfect imo I tried one on at a cycle show but

$$$$$ almost $500

• goblin127

Posted February 17, 2007 - 02:49 PM

The Arai would be perfect imo I tried one on at a cycle show but

$$$$$ almost $500

Thats why I went with the Simpson.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.