buying 07 yz450f on saturday any tips for break in

21 replies to this topic
  • rmrida42990

Posted February 14, 2007 - 02:48 PM

As the title says I'm finally gettin off of my rm85 and steppin up with the big boys. I was wondering what tips you have for break in and what oil should I use after break in. Oh what color do you think I should get cuz I've heard the white looks like shit after a while. wohohohohhoohohohohohhohhhohohwowowowowowowogogohohohohohohohoh ok i'm done

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted February 14, 2007 - 02:50 PM

85 to a 450F? Maybe you shouldn't move up so fast? That's a lot of power, and different delivery.

• Idaho_Stas

Posted February 14, 2007 - 03:25 PM

As the title says I'm finally gettin off of my rm85 and steppin up with the big boys. I was wondering what tips you have for break in and what oil should I use after break in. Oh what color do you think I should get cuz I've heard the white looks like shit after a while. wohohohohhoohohohohohhohhhohohwowowowowowowogogohohohohohohohoh ok i'm done

rm85 to a YZ450F:crazy: :censored:

First: I assume you are kidding.

Second: If you really do want/need break-in info for that bike, go to the YZ426/450F etc specific forum and do a search. Lots of info there.

Good luck w/ all that HP.

• whoops dude

Posted February 14, 2007 - 03:34 PM

there should be a break in procedure in the manual but ask around in the yz forum. (P.S. I went from a ttr125 to a 450)

• rmrida42990

Posted February 14, 2007 - 03:36 PM

I've ride 450's and 250s all the time the reason why I'm not getting a 125 or 250f is because everyone I ride wit has a 250 or 450

• rmrida42990

Posted February 14, 2007 - 04:31 PM

up tot totmtot

• loudandproud

Posted February 14, 2007 - 05:06 PM

have fun on that bad boy... i want one so bad right now....

anybody got one for sale...

• FeliX 450

Posted February 14, 2007 - 05:13 PM

get WHITE it looks really godd ive had like 3 rides on mine already and still looks like new just take care of it :censored:

have fun with it, its the best bikes you will ever ride :ride:

• rmrida42990

Posted February 14, 2007 - 05:19 PM

can't wait

• never59

Posted February 14, 2007 - 05:23 PM

I did not see anything in the manual about break in procedure for my 07. I just rode it very conservative the first day and put it through 5-6 heat cycles.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rmrida42990

Posted February 14, 2007 - 05:27 PM

thanks guys anybody thats in southern massachusetts is welcome to take it for a spin or if you go to capeway rovers mx then you could take it for a couple laps

• rmrida42990

Posted February 14, 2007 - 05:51 PM

thanks guy I'm so pumped wowhwwo

• RUFF_RYDER

Posted February 14, 2007 - 05:52 PM

I've ride 450's and 250s all the time the reason why I'm not getting a 125 or 250f is because everyone I ride wit has a 250 or 450

Dude on the track it may be a lil difficult and maybe on a str8 if u get a 250f but if u ride trails and stuff u should be keeping up

• rmrida42990

Posted February 15, 2007 - 06:12 AM

can't wait rode a crf450 at the track and it was a little wierd but I'll get used to it

• dudeman67

Posted February 15, 2007 - 06:57 AM

Ride it like you stole it. Seriously these engines need to be loaded up at various rpms to get a good ring seal. Don't ride it like a grandma and vary the throttle a lot. I have broke all my bikes this way and they rip.

• dean29

Posted February 15, 2007 - 06:59 AM

i read somewhere on here a big article about breaking in new bikes. It essentially said warm it up, and ride like you stole it. This is the only way to seat the piston rings properly. I followed the advice i read and my bike still runs great after 1 year, and doesnt use any oil. Im sure that article is still on here somewhere. Good luck.

• yfZsE

Posted February 15, 2007 - 07:19 AM

i read somewhere on here a big article about breaking in new bikes. It essentially said warm it up, and ride like you stole it. This is the only way to seat the piston rings properly. I followed the advice i read and my bike still runs great after 1 year, and doesnt use any oil. Im sure that article is still on here somewhere. Good luck.

are the rings the only thing that need to break-in in an engine?:censored:

• WB450

Posted February 15, 2007 - 08:12 AM

I did not see anything in the manual about break in procedure for my 07. I just rode it very conservative the first day and put it through 5-6 heat cycles.

There is a break in procedure in the manual, but look in the YZ forum, good advice there.

• Slinkyman16

Posted February 15, 2007 - 09:56 AM

this is how i was told to break in the motor when i bought it... warm it up shut it off let it sit for 10 mins.. then do 20 on then 20 off.. about 3-4 times... while going threw the gears as much as possible.. but only at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle.. untill you go threw the first gas tank.. then on your second tank run it at full throttle in all the gears. and then your ready to ripp. but make sure you give it time to cool.

also the break in precedure is section 1 page 5-15.. i cant really remeber what page it was on.. i dont have it in front of me...

make sure you break in the cams and crank first.. before you beat the hell on it..
josh

• ca412686

Posted February 18, 2007 - 04:14 PM

this is how i was told to break in the motor when i bought it... warm it up shut it off let it sit for 10 mins.. then do 20 on then 20 off.. about 3-4 times... while going threw the gears as much as possible.. but only at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle.. untill you go threw the first gas tank.. then on your second tank run it at full throttle in all the gears. and then your ready to ripp. but make sure you give it time to cool.

also the break in precedure is section 1 page 5-15.. i cant really remeber what page it was on.. i dont have it in front of me...

make sure you break in the cams and crank first.. before you beat the hell on it..
josh

Thats the same technique my engine builder said to use. The engine needs a few heat cycles before its totally loaded up.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.