Lower Fork Guards...I can't find them.

8 replies to this topic
  • thecirque

Posted February 14, 2007 - 11:08 AM

I saw some carbon fiber looking lower fork guards shooting down the trail the other day and liked the look.

I've searched hi and lo for lower fork guards and can't find anything for the XR650R.

I would prefer black in color and I don't really want the disc guard although I'd probably run it if I couldn't find the "Fork Leg only" versions.

Anyone have any suggestions?

• Motosprtman

Posted February 14, 2007 - 11:39 AM

XR's only?

• JackAttack

Posted February 14, 2007 - 11:58 AM

PM TT member Thunderchicken.

I think he gets them at Precision Concepts.

• abby

Posted February 14, 2007 - 04:49 PM

I saw these:

act=viewProd&productId=199' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://blaisracingse...d&productId=199

But can't find them in the precision concepts website.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR4DEZ

Posted February 14, 2007 - 08:51 PM

Boy have they gone up in price, the last ones I bought were 50 bucks.

• AngryShawn

Posted February 14, 2007 - 10:18 PM

Those sure look sweet but $80 feels pretty darn pricey...
How about some black pvc pipe cut to fit? hahaha

• ThunderChicken

Posted February 15, 2007 - 10:49 AM

There are two types of guards and they both are made by a company called "Carbon Fiber Spider" and resold by Precision Concepts and Blais Racing.

The standard black carbon fiber guard is the cheaper of the two and sells for around $50. However, apparently, due to the amount of carbon fiber used in the Iraq war, they can't get the material they need to make the cheaper guards anymore. This is according to Dianne at PC.

So now they sell the more expensive carbon fiber guards laced with titanium. Apparently the manufacturer had sheets of this material available and the Bell's went ahead and had him cut it up for the 650R. These are the grey guards that you may have seen that cost around $80.

The manufacturer appears to be a contract manufacturer out of SoCal. I came across an eBay auction a couple weeks ago where he was selling the more expensive guards and claiming a "manufacturing overrun."

I emailed back and forth with him and he said that he also had extra sets of the cheaper guards that he would sell direct.

It's probably a good idea that we all start going directly to him because sooner or later Precision Concepts and Blais Racing will probably (and I completely understand) make less of an effort to have this guy make guards for the 650R to sell since their margins are already low and they won't plan on selling a large enough quanity to justify the effort.

I emailed him and he said it was cool that I gave out his email for those interested in purchasing a pair of guards direct. You can PM me and I will give you the email address.

BTW, eventually, we are going to have to do stuff like this more often as aftermarket resellers begin to drop the 650R from their catalogs...

• AngryShawn

Posted February 19, 2007 - 09:41 PM

PMd you TC

• pburke

Posted February 20, 2007 - 07:54 AM

However, apparently, due to the amount of carbon fiber used in the Iraq war, they can't get the material they need to make the cheaper guards anymore. This is according to Dianne at PC.

not just the military - Airbus and Boeing and poor planning by the industry providing the composites are to blame. doesn't look like it's gonna get any better in the coming years. Most things that look like carbon these days are probably "Black Fiberglass" according to this article, which isn't carbon fiber at all:

http://www.fibreglas...bershortage.php

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.