WHat rear shock fits the XR650R???

24 replies to this topic
  • jesusgatos

Posted December 04, 2007 - 10:57 AM

The extra length and travel would be a pretty good match for the CRF frontend though, right?

I'll go ahead and get that .70x17mm shim when I order the shims for the front forks. I already have all of shims I need to rebuild the shock though.

One more question before I get started: What parts, seals, etc. should I order and plan on replacing when I rebuild the shock?

• BWB63

Posted December 04, 2007 - 03:16 PM

If the shock is in good condition and not leaking then I would only replace the bladder. The bladders seem to be something that goes bad. If the sock is suspect then I would replace both the dust seal and the main seal. The main seal is very easy to replace (you have to remove it to drill the hole in the seal head anyways). There are pictures of the seal removed on my web page in the picture of where to drill the air blead hole.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jesusgatos

Posted December 04, 2007 - 03:19 PM

OK. Thanks a lot. I bought the CR500 shock off a parts bike that had already been picked over. Looks nice an clean on the outside, but who knows what kind of condition it's really in. I'll order those two seals along with a new bladder. All for the CR500, right?

• BWB63

Posted December 04, 2007 - 04:17 PM

OK. Thanks a lot. I bought the CR500 shock off a parts bike that had already been picked over. Looks nice an clean on the outside, but who knows what kind of condition it's really in. I'll order those two seals along with a new bladder. All for the CR500, right?

Same seals, same bladder, makes it kind of nice. If you need help send me a PM and I'll give you my toll free number to call me. The dust seal comes off with two screw drivers used as levers from two sides and the new one is pressed back on. A 'Sharp Ice Pick' is a must have for doing shock work.

• jesusgatos

Posted December 04, 2007 - 07:54 PM

Yeah, that's good to know- and thanks for the offer to help. I'm sure I'll have a few questions for you along the way. People seem to be pretty tight-lipped about suspension in general when it comes to dirt bikes.

I've got a pretty good assortment of tools, and I've rebuilt a lot of shocks for four-wheeled desert vehicles. Kinda new to dirt bikes though. You mentioned something about needing pictures. You want me to take any? I've written a lot of tech articles and could maybe help you update your site with something more along the lines of a step-by-step? Lemme know.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.