Im ready to blow my bike up!

14 replies to this topic
  • Jizz

Posted February 13, 2007 - 06:25 PM

Still having carb problems on my 01' 426. Runs fine with the choke on and dont run with it off. Jets are clean, no air leaks on the manifold. No vissible problems. Is there something that seals the hot start? Is there an o-ring in the hole or on the shaft? Could air be passing the hot start and making a lean condition where using the choke fixes?

• Bigcr

Posted February 13, 2007 - 08:15 PM

Are you sure the jets are clean? It sounds like a clogged pilot jet to me.

• Jizz

Posted February 13, 2007 - 08:37 PM

Possitive

• Kyle Prior

Posted February 13, 2007 - 09:42 PM

Id go to the Jetting forum and make sure everything is good with your sizes and everything.

• motobeck

Posted February 14, 2007 - 06:59 AM

I had similar problems with my 02 426. I tried everything to fix it... cleaned the carb several times, changed jetting, even replaced the needle jet. Still was not running right. One day I ran it out of gas while working on it, added some freash gas and all my problems went away??? You might give this a try?

• oldnbold

Posted February 14, 2007 - 09:27 AM

have you taken the slide out and apart?

• Ztard

Posted February 14, 2007 - 09:29 AM

My standard answer: disconnect the TPS.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ranger18

Posted February 14, 2007 - 09:34 AM

This is a shot in the dark, but Is your air/fuel screw still in?:censored:
It happened to me once out on a trail ride. The fuel screw fell out and it would only start with the choke on, and it ran like crap.
And yes if your hot start is stuck open, that might be abole to cause a lean effect, that would require the choke. You can take it apart and clean it.

• grayracer513

Posted February 14, 2007 - 10:15 AM

This is a shot in the dark, but Is your air/fuel screw still in?

I had similar problems with my 02 426. I tried ... some fresh gas and all my problems went away???

Both good points. Don't discount the gas question. Once had a customer drive an S-10 into the shop for a water leak at the intake manifold on Thursday. Because of my work load, it sat through the weekend before I got to it, and when I finished it the following Wednesday (delayed by parts), it would not start. After troubleshooting everything we could think of, we did a fuel vapor pressure test on the gas; it failed. Not only failed, but the Tune Up Guy said it was the worst he had ever seen. Just for fun, we dumped some on the floor and tried to light it (it was an open service bay), but we couldn't get it to burn. And the car ran fine just 5 days before that.

• briank3000

Posted February 14, 2007 - 11:35 AM

Remove carb and inspect the throttle valve. Probably broken, it is letting in to much air. that is why it will run with the choke.

• Ga426owner

Posted February 14, 2007 - 12:16 PM

If you tried all this and it still is messed up.......either send the carb out for a checkup......or get the gas out.....:censored:

• jimmyg

Posted February 14, 2007 - 01:49 PM

if you happend to take the slide out make sure you put the slide back together correctly ive seen people put the side facing the intake on upsidedown runs like crap that way.

• Jizz

Posted February 14, 2007 - 05:25 PM

Remove carb and inspect the throttle valve. Probably broken, it is letting in to much air. that is why it will run with the choke.

are you meaning the slide?

• MikeDD

Posted February 14, 2007 - 08:54 PM

Both good points. Don't discount the gas question. Once had a customer drive an S-10 into the shop for a water leak at the intake manifold on Thursday. Because of my work load, it sat through the weekend before I got to it, and when I finished it the following Wednesday (delayed by parts), it would not start. After troubleshooting everything we could think of, we did a fuel vapor pressure test on the gas; it failed. Not only failed, but the Tune Up Guy said it was the worst he had ever seen. Just for fun, we dumped some on the floor and tried to light it (it was an open service bay), but we couldn't get it to burn. And the car ran fine just 5 days before that.

Ethanol has been ruining our equipment here. Unfortunately it's the only fuel we can get on the island. If your running an ethanol blend I highly reccommend running a fuel stabilizer with it. The fuel separates fast and when it does your left with almost pure alcohol at the bottom of your tank. Great for ruining your engine due to heat. The other problem is it's a natural solvent so and crap that is in your tank is instantly cleaned and sent to the bottom of your tank for your fuel pump or carb to suck up. Great stuff :censored:

• hall1012

Posted February 15, 2007 - 12:08 AM

Still having carb problems on my 01' 426. Runs fine with the choke on and dont run with it off. Jets are clean, no air leaks on the manifold. No vissible problems. Is there something that seals the hot start? Is there an o-ring in the hole or on the shaft? Could air be passing the hot start and making a lean condition where using the choke fixes?

I had a similar issue with my WR the first time I rode it. Turns out the air boot that connects the airbox to the carb was loose so air was getting sucked in and causing it to run super lean. I tightened up the boot never had a problem again... knock on wood.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.