Possible To Install An Oil Cooler On My XR600R?

3 replies to this topic
  • Kawabuggy

Posted February 13, 2007 - 06:10 PM

I see a post today from another owner talking about installing an oil cooler..

I was wondering if this is something I could accomplish on my '93 XR600R? I think I would like a larger cooler than what was being shown in this thread:

but I guess space constraint is what guides that decision. If I were able to find a cooler that would work with the available space, do I simply splice it into the oil line returning to the frame tank from the sump, or would it be better to have the oil coming from the tank pass through the cooler and then into the engine?

I'm sure someone here has done this before. Anyone know if this will even be of benefit?

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted February 13, 2007 - 08:15 PM

The XR400 cooler is about twice the size of the XR250 cooler. It mounts the same way and is more than enough to bring the temps down on the 650L/600R. I used to work for SRC and we sold it as a kit.

SRC kit... http://www.srcinc.net/html/cooler.html

Oil line routing... http://www.xlv.ch/XR...Oil-Cooler.html

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kawabuggy

Posted February 14, 2007 - 12:56 PM

Thanks for the links. That explains a lot. It looks like they are simply splicing the steel section of the return line (from the sump to the frame tank) and then using clamps on the end of the of the steel line. Looks straight forward..

Now, the challenge is to find an even LARGER cooler, and find a place to mount it such that it still sees air-flow, yet protected enough that it is not damaged by debris, mud, or other flying objects.. Can you hear the hamster wheel spinning?

• drtlvr

Posted February 14, 2007 - 01:24 PM

I might have what you are looking for,it was my origanal plan to mount the cooler to the lower triple clamp, I have the mount fabricated and a oil cooler mounted on it you would just have to mount it and plumb it,

check it out it is in my garage section under modification

Related Content

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.