Doh!

12 replies to this topic
  • slepe67

Posted February 13, 2007 - 01:55 PM

This is what I get for cleaning my bike. Been outta town for a few months, figured I go thru my LBRP. Oil change, brake fluid, cables lubed, new plug, and then I sprayed it with...Purple Power. rinsed it off, and now it looks like this:
http://i20.photobuck...e67/600case.jpg

I rinsed the hell out of it, no change. Sprayed it with WD 40, will see if it helps. Can I do anything about this? Thanks again...I need to re-deploy, so I dont hafta f**k anything else up again. Just kidding, I like it here just fine!

• cleonard

Posted February 13, 2007 - 02:06 PM

That's the result of a chemical reaction between the cleaner and the aluminum. As far as I know only mechanial methods like a wire wheel, sandpaper, steel wool, etc. can get it off.

• rebelventurer

Posted February 13, 2007 - 02:08 PM

wow, thats nasty looking!
Purple power is a bit harsh of a cleaner!

• bork

Posted February 13, 2007 - 02:18 PM

I think it says something about alum on label. Thats why I have a dirt bike. Hehehe

• slepe67

Posted February 13, 2007 - 02:22 PM

Upon reading the label IMMEDIATELY after the fact, it does say not to use it on aluminum, but, who the HELL reads directions? Guess I should start. Maybe I'll get it hot tomorrow and see if THAT helps...DAMMIT!!!!

• TDC71

Posted February 13, 2007 - 03:31 PM

Hate to say it but unless u tear it apart and polish and clear the parts thats it. That purple stuff etches aluminum, basically eats it when applied.

Todd

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cbaranski

Posted February 13, 2007 - 03:44 PM

I used that stuff one on my small block chevy Edelbrock intake while on the engine and it did the same thing. When I wash my bike I use Simple Green. It's pretty strong when not delutted but wont do this to your bike.

• rebelventurer

Posted February 13, 2007 - 04:14 PM

:censored: Simple green works on everything :ride:

• mexihonkey

Posted February 13, 2007 - 04:47 PM

That stuff did the same thing to some wheels on my mtb bike - Stripped the anodizing and made the aluminum all rough/etched. Nothing I can do about it now, but you could probably sand yours down with some light sandpaper.

• tomb1957

Posted February 13, 2007 - 10:38 PM

Welcome back and thank you.

I used gasket cleaner on a rag (with rubber gloves) to get the paint off and used a scotch brite to buff the side case. Be careful using the scotch brite, don't let it get anywhere near an opening to the inside of the carb or motor. But, since the side case is aluminum and I rinsed whth diluted simple green every couple of minutes it should be okay. Not sure what you can use for the main cases.

Posted Image

• slepe67

Posted February 14, 2007 - 07:10 AM

thx, what size/brand tank is that? looks just like what I'm after.

• tomb1957

Posted February 14, 2007 - 05:11 PM

It's a Clarke 5 Gallon. Probably overkill, but I use it as a super tanker. My son has a TTR125 and we go for long trail rides so I transfer gas via siphon hose to his tank.

• slepe67

Posted March 02, 2007 - 10:12 AM

so, the cases are just plain old aluminum, NO paint correct? I plan to pull out the polisher and give it a try, just dont want to if it's painted. LOOKS like aluminum, just checking.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.