Desert for first time on wr

11 replies to this topic
  • windseeker1

Posted February 13, 2007 - 04:25 AM

Hi

I know u north american dudes do a lot a desert ridding

I need some good advices on equip and spare parts to take

I'm gonna go Marrocos and will be doing like 200km a day in rocks desert mainly and some sand also.

Every thing u guys think i'm gonna need please say so

• blackdog9

Posted February 13, 2007 - 05:22 AM

I do a lot of dunes here in Chile. I would say first DO NOT go alone:crazy: ... I have in my back-pack:
tire repair spray can, a chain master link, zip-ties, sun-block, plenty of water (some water treatment tablets are a good idea also), an over-size fuel tank, GPS and spare batteries, cell or satellite phone, emergency lights and torchs, waterproof matches. If you dónt want to mind for flat tires:foul: , go for BIB-Moose inserts, they work well as long as you do not high speed for long periods of time....:censored:
Good luck in your trip.
Sergio:ride:

• windseeker1

Posted February 13, 2007 - 06:09 AM

K thanks a lot for the tips

I'm gonna be followed by jeeps not gonna be alone

I'm more concerned about the bike and prep or mods i have to do, like sprockets, chain... probbably will have to change oil and filters there also

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 13, 2007 - 08:26 AM

K thanks a lot for the tips

I'm gonna be followed by jeeps not gonna be alone

I'm more concerned about the bike and prep or mods i have to do, like sprockets, chain... probbably will have to change oil and filters there also

get bridgestone heavy duty 4 mill tubes front and back and then slim the tubes once installed. this will significantly reduce flat tires.

• blackdog9

Posted February 13, 2007 - 10:11 AM

and then slim the tubes once installed. this will significantly reduce flat tires.

I´m interested...... I´m a spanish speaker, ¿what do you mean with "slim the tubes"?:censored: . Thanks

• bigbully

Posted February 13, 2007 - 10:45 AM

he means "slime the tube." It's the green liquid that sprays into the tube to plug any holes when they occur.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • blackdog9

Posted February 13, 2007 - 01:44 PM

he means "slime the tube." It's the green liquid that sprays into the tube to plug any holes when they occur.

O.K., got it. ¡¡The difference that a letter makes!!:ride: Good idea, will give it a try...:censored:
Thanks a lot.
Sergio

• Seabass

Posted February 13, 2007 - 08:00 PM

Since you will have some chase vehicles tagging along with you you'll be able to pack everything you need and then some. When I ride down in Baja we'll do some fairly long distance rides (200-500km's per day). Get the biggest Camelback type backpack you can find and also get a tool belt.

In my backpack I'll carry an extra set of goggles and gloves. Carry some sort of light weight jacket if you're not already riding with a jacket on. Make sure to carry a lighter and a flash light. Pack some food like PowerBars. Pack zip ties!! I'll put in a few different sizes, from small to very large. You'd be suprised what you can fix with them in an emergency. Carry an assortment on nuts and bolts, and I always carry spare levers and a shifter. Just buy the cheap ones. Of course pack tools!! It doesn't take a whole tool box, but make sure you pack enough wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers. Also take tire irons and a tire pump. I use the pump that is a combo hand pump/Co2 pump. Don't forget a Schrader stem valve remover. Bring an extra set of jets, I had a pilot jet that somhow got plugged up and I couln't get it unplugged. If you're chase vehicles have enough room, pack a set of tires. Once in San Felipe a guy I was riding with lost all the tread on his tire while riding on the highway. Luckily we foung a tire shop down there that happened to have a Dunlop 739, slightly used for 5 dollars!! It only cost a six pack of Tecate to have it mounted. JB Weld is handy to have, I cracked my clutch cover down there and I was able to patch it up.

Most importantly, have fun!:censored:

• windseeker1

Posted February 14, 2007 - 02:32 AM

Thanks guys

A question what is the "Schrader stem valve remover"?

I pack some extra tires but im not bery good at changing them, any advice to make it easyer?

• windseeker1

Posted February 14, 2007 - 02:47 AM

By the way what kind of maintnance should i do during and before i go there.

What bike parts will have more wearing?

Never done Bajas so it's gonna be a wild adventure

• windseeker1

Posted February 14, 2007 - 02:56 AM

By the way i think my butt myth be in danger to.
Because it will be like 200km a day for 2 weeks
Any helpfull advice without having to change the seat?

• windseeker1

Posted February 15, 2007 - 01:54 AM

Up Up

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.