gearing a 650r

3 replies to this topic
  • 650r

Posted February 12, 2007 - 09:20 PM

what are you guys running for gearing and why? is there a better set up then stock? i ride alot of open desert and glamis alot, if that helps. thanks

• XR4DEZ

Posted February 12, 2007 - 09:27 PM

I use the stock gearing even though I'm looking for 6th gear in the washes.It's good in the rox and tight stuff and those endless whoop section around the Sups and Plaster City.Most of the fast guys use 15/48.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Potts228

Posted February 12, 2007 - 09:34 PM

what are you guys running for gearing and why? is there a better set up then stock? i ride alot of open desert and glamis alot, if that helps. thanks

For open desert it's a no brainer to go with 15 / 47. Even with the 15 / 47 you can do slow single track and then be able to open her up on the wide open trails / roads. If you spend more time on the slower trails then maybe the 15 / 48 or 15 / 49 would be a better choice. Not sure on Glamis.

• Thumpage

Posted February 14, 2007 - 12:27 AM

If it is dune riding you are looking at, 14/46 is what you need to be running with a paddle tire and a stock length chain. This allows enough clearance of the paddles from the swingarm especially when going flat out at higher speeds. A 46 rear sprocket is the smallest that can be used as a 45 will leave the chain too loose and there will be no more adjustment at the axle. As it is, 14/46 is a great gear choice for the dunes. A ten paddle is what the XR650R wants and needs to be it's best in the dunes. The 10 paddles simply work better than an 8 paddle with the major torque the XR650R produces. The AMS Sandsnake 120/100 10 paddle is a great tire, :censored:.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.