06/07 Megabomb difference?

8 replies to this topic
  • curran

Posted February 12, 2007 - 08:02 PM

FMF has a different part number ( 044227) for the 2007 YZ450F megabomb than the 06 which is part # (044140).According to their website,the 06 also fits the 03 thru 05 models.I purchased a used 4.1 system with the megabomb on ebay but was sent a megabomb for a 250f.(seller blamed it on his son?)(According to FMF the midpipe and muffler are the same on the 450/250)After a few phone calls (and an extra $100) I gave him back the 250 header and he got me a brand new megabomb (06 part number).I couldn't get a straight answer from the tech reps at FMF and am waiting on an email reply as to the reason for the different part numbers.Its not a fit issue as I know the 06 will mount on an 07.If its a performance issue,I don't want to run this new header,so hopefully I can exchange it.Sorry for the long post,anybody have an answer?

• aedwards07

Posted February 13, 2007 - 12:58 PM

Im guessing its the pipe size where the header connects to the midpipe.On my FMF slip on it came with 2 different insert depending on what header I was running.For the record I am running a megabomb off of my 06 on a 07 slip on 4.1.

• curran

Posted February 14, 2007 - 12:44 PM

Thank for the responce aedwards07,still no answer from FMF.It may be the pipe size where they connect ,although I would think its the same.I did hear that in Dirtrider mags 450F comparison test,someone said they liked the megabomb with the stock muffler,but my megabomb does not slip into the stock midpipe(midpipe is 1 3/4 inch,megabomb is 1 5/8) I'll have to keep trying the tech guys @FMF to see if I can get a straight answer.I know for 07 the muffler opening diameter is at least a 1/4 inch smaller than the 06(quieter)so it seems strange that the 07 midpipe would be bigger.Any other answers or input out there is appreciated.

• aedwards07

Posted February 14, 2007 - 01:55 PM

I believe my 06 midpipe is smaller than my 07 midpipe.Didnt your header come with spacers so you could run the megabomb with the stock midpipe?Mine did.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • curran

Posted February 14, 2007 - 03:53 PM

Its a used (06)FMF 4.1 muffler / midpipe off ebay.Makes me wonder if the 07 version has different size tubing?The megabomb he got for me is for 03 thru 06 according to FMF's website.Doesn't really make sense as Yamaha changed things in 06,and 07 is the same.I assume I have a comlete FMF system made for the 06 but mounts on the 07 no problem.If there is no performance difference from the new 07 system then I'll just install it.Just don't understand exactly why the part # is different on the 07 header.3 days and no response from FMF techs.I'll just have to call them again.To answer your question,there was no sleeve included to mount to the stock muffler.A friend with an 07 got a used 06 system that bolted on fine.I rode it(only a lap)and was not overly impressed by the power gain,but rode another with the new Pro-circuit TI system and it seemed stronger throughout.

• curran

Posted February 14, 2007 - 04:19 PM

Just talked to a tech rep at FMF named Tony and he said there is a slight bend difference for the 07? (these guys don,t want to spend much time on the phone with you)He also said there will be no difference in power with the 06 pipe on the 07.(hope he's right/honest)I know others on this forum have said good things about the system.I guess I'll just try it on Friday , and report back.

• Alex_YZ450F

Posted February 15, 2007 - 03:43 PM

Just wondering how you guys like the power characteristics of the FMF compared to the stock one. Also, how far does the end pipe stick out past the number plate, comparatively?

• aedwards07

Posted February 15, 2007 - 06:51 PM

FMF doesnt stick out near as much.Here is a pic of my bike so you can tell.
Posted Image

• Alex_YZ450F

Posted February 15, 2007 - 10:31 PM

That's a good couple of inches shorter than the Big Gun.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.