need help - buying new bike

2 replies to this topic
  • jonathansmith7197

Posted February 12, 2007 - 07:06 PM

i recently sold my bike 2000 xr650r. i usually ride trails and mx sometimes. i'm deciding between 2001 yzf 426 and 2004 yz 250. i'm a pretty big guy 6'5" - 260lbs. any feedback would be helpful. thanks in advance.:censored:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tree77

Posted February 12, 2007 - 10:18 PM

I ride a 01 wr 426 and I'm 6'05 245lbs. Weight wise the bike does great. I haven't bogged down on a hill yet. It just keeps wanting to go and go and go. Heigth wise it is not a perfect fit but then again, what dirtbike is when you're 6'05". The 01 had the tallest seat height of any of the new 4-strokes and if I'm not mistaken is still one of the tallest bikes ever made. I throw around the idea of getting a tall seat and handle bar risers but the fit is good enough that it does not warrant me spending the extra $$. In my opinion the 250 will be way too underpowered for you. I'll tell you the same things guys told me (over and over and over): Get the 426 you won't regret it. I sure haven't.

By the way - I just installed the JD kit - VERY nice addition!

• Murray Dorward

Posted February 12, 2007 - 11:17 PM

Go with the 426. The best conversion you can do for your money is changing your springs for your weight (260lbs). The stock fork springs are 0.46kg/mm and you will need 0.50kg/mm , the stock shock spring is a 5.0kg/mm and you require a 5.8kg/mm. Beleive me when I say I have a WR450 '07 and I weight 254lbs. The bike handeled like a dog untill I fitted racetech springs according to my weight. The bike handels 100% better. The springs will cost you +-$250 for all three. Go to racetech's website and see for your self.

:censored: :lol: :ride:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.