19 replies to this topic
  • nori41

Posted February 12, 2007 - 11:57 AM

The Blue bike wins!

http://www.motorcycl...eID=4322&Page=1

:censored:

• ridered55

Posted February 12, 2007 - 07:14 PM

It wins one category and they give it the overall? That's weird! It's a good bike no doubt,, but HONDA is a GREAT bike!!

• Slinkyman16

Posted February 12, 2007 - 08:28 PM

read the whole review. it just want the motor, it was the combination of alot of things and overall rankings in the sub catagories...

• RussFinancesHomes.com

Posted February 12, 2007 - 09:19 PM

Congradulations! That was the first major mag out of 5 that rated the YZ 1st.
As if it really matters. All of these bikes are so good that it comes down to personal preference.

• Huckster

Posted February 13, 2007 - 03:45 AM

cycle news picked it #1 as well.

• no air charlie

Posted February 13, 2007 - 07:01 AM

The Honda was down almost 4 horsepower to the KX and almost 2 hp to the YZ. Who knows maybe the valves were already crapping out on the Honda.:censored:

• RR@ARS

Posted February 13, 2007 - 07:37 AM

Dirt Bike Mag picked it the #1 MX 450 for off road use too.

• adamdf

Posted February 13, 2007 - 11:37 AM

what did dirt rider and twmx give it?

• Baron Von Beard

Posted February 14, 2007 - 08:25 PM

I've never been one to follow what the mags said about the bikes. I've ridden all the 07's but the Suzuki and the Yamaha just barely edges out the KXF IMHO. I like the small light feel of the Yami. The motor is lackluster compared to the 06, but not by a huge margin. The Kawi is a step behind the yami in the suspension dept, it feels large but the motor is really good, but almost too good on the bottom end. The bottom is so strong that it feels flat on top, it's not, it just feels that way because of the flat torque curve.

The Honda is tied with the KTM for 3rd place if you ask me. The motor is okay, better than the Yami, not as good as the Kawi. Hondas suspension isn't nearly as good as the Yami or Kawi, not even remotely. The Honda feels old school compared to either of the other bikes surprisingly enough. It feels like it vibrates more, it's frame is too rigid and really looks less sophisticated.

Anywho.

• ridered55

Posted February 14, 2007 - 10:08 PM

[quote name='
As if it really matters. All of these bikes are so good that it comes down to personal preference.[/QUOTE']

:censored: Thats a pretty fair statement, & probably the truth!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hall1012

Posted February 15, 2007 - 12:05 AM

Although I prefer blue, it really doesn't matter what type of bike you ride. As long as it's fun who cares. Ride on. :censored:

• billyo

Posted February 15, 2007 - 07:05 AM

i've ridden all the 07's as well except the ktm. i am coming off of 3 years on crf250s......
rmz- steered great but the nose felt real heavy too me. motor was controllable though. suspension was descent. just a little scary on high speed straights.
kxf- motor too strong for me on the bottom. i thought it actually turned real good. felt like i could really lean it over far without being worried of the tires letting go. maybe thats just me. suspension was real good. bike felt a little heavy up top and thick at the gas tank/rad. shrouds....
crf- i originally wanted to buy a honda, but the suspension was harsh and the motor i felt had too much for me. ergos spot on. turned good too.
yzf- lightest feeling of the bunch. that was huge for me. smooth motor. takes more rev to get it cooking. fine by me. easiest for me to transition most of my 250f riding style. suspension is awesome. turning? - flickable like a 250f in turns and in the air, but it does have a slight push. running forks up 8mm from clamp and 95mm sag help. i picked the yamaha because its the best for ME coming from 250f's, thats all. pick your weapon that fits you the best. my 2 cents...

• adamdf

Posted February 15, 2007 - 05:28 PM

I've never been one to follow what the mags said about the bikes. I've ridden all the 07's but the Suzuki and the Yamaha just barely edges out the KXF IMHO. I like the small light feel of the Yami. The motor is lackluster compared to the 06, but not by a huge margin. The Kawi is a step behind the yami in the suspension dept, it feels large but the motor is really good, but almost too good on the bottom end. The bottom is so strong that it feels flat on top, it's not, it just feels that way because of the flat torque curve.

The Honda is tied with the KTM for 3rd place if you ask me. The motor is okay, better than the Yami, not as good as the Kawi. Hondas suspension isn't nearly as good as the Yami or Kawi, not even remotely. The Honda feels old school compared to either of the other bikes surprisingly enough. It feels like it vibrates more, it's frame is too rigid and really looks less sophisticated.

Anywho.

Interesting you mention that the suspension on the honda isn't too good. Do you think it was just not right for your weight or riding style? I recall most of the reviews saying the honda would probably suit the pros more because of the stiff suspension. If that is true, then in my opinion that mans its just not setup for the majority of riders which is a bad thing since most guys are not at the pro level. Do you agree? Or do you mean the components seem not up to date with the others? I have not ridden one so your guess is better than mine.

I am just interested because at the end of the year i am thinking of looking for a 450, i currently am on an 06 yz250F. From what alot of you guys are saying though, the yami has the kind of power delivery i am looking for. I think most of the 450s hit too hard down low for the slippery and tighter tracks which is what i mainly ride (do i hear vortex ignition anyone?). Having said that the kawi seems like an attractive bike as well, how did you find that handled in the tigher corners and so on vs the yamaha?. In my opinion i don't think you can go wrong with the yamaha but i haven't ridden one, nor the kxF. I have ridden the 07 KTM though and i loved it for the most part but i'm not sure if i could trust the suspension quite yet at my level when i start to push it to the limit. I know this post is all over the place but the few of you who have been lucky enough to ride a few of the 07s and compare, you are holding some very valuable info, real world opinions are twice as valuable as the mags'.

• grayracer513

Posted February 15, 2007 - 05:52 PM

The Honda suspension does feel good at speed, but does not feel as good when you ease up a little. This is not a characteristic of the YZF, which pretty much feels good all the time. The YZ fork especially has the feel of almost an "active" suspension system, as if it were somehow sophisticated enough to adapt at speed to changes in conditions. The Honda feels good, but not as sophisticated and controlled. The description of it as "old school" works for me. Two years ago, it would have been the best. The YZF supplanted it.

• wswain

Posted February 16, 2007 - 01:10 AM

In Australasian dirt bike mag they picked honda crf450r then the yemi as 1 and 2. but someone is right as long as u have fun who cares what type it is

• Chris450

Posted February 16, 2007 - 07:07 AM

It also won the Racer X Canada 450 shootout !!! :censored:

http://racerxcanada....ate.php?id=2848

• Polar_Bus

Posted February 16, 2007 - 03:37 PM

Dirt Bike Mag picked it the #1 MX 450 for off road use too.

What Dirt Bike mag are you reading???? I am reading the Feb 07' shootout and Dirt Bike rated the CRF450F #1, and they rated the YZ450F second.

I have read virtually every shootout current. Most pick the CRF first simply by a killer smooth and fast engine. Most articles agree the YZ is the most friendly, all around fantastic performer for the masses of racers of all abilities. The KX seems the also have a killer motor, but feels heavy. The RM does everything good, corners AWESOME, but handles "twitchy". I am most likely going YZ..... seems like a "cant go wrong" choice.

• Huckster

Posted February 17, 2007 - 04:30 AM

you need to turn a few more pages in that issue of dirt bike because right after the MX test, they did an "off road" shootout and hands down the YZ was the best according to them.

• Polar_Bus

Posted February 17, 2007 - 05:26 AM

you need to turn a few more pages in that issue of dirt bike because right after the MX test, they did an "off road" shootout and hands down the YZ was the best according to them.

Yup they did. OK my mistake !

• Jessthro

Posted February 17, 2007 - 09:21 AM

the yz is an amazing bike. the only problem i have is bottoming the forks on big landings. ill most likely install stiffer springs. and yea it does push in tight hairpin corners but it kills in wide open flat turns and the stability in fast rough stuff it awesome. i ride dunes and outdoors tracks alot as well as alot of "freeriding" in gravel pits, desert and ramps. even the occasional trail ride. it has shined in every condition and after i piped and jetted it, it has enough power for anything i think id ever encounter. my riding buddies have kx and cr 450s and they seem to do just fine. the only complaint ive heard is my friend has said the kx rear shock just dosnt seem right. originally i was seeking out a cr (comming off an rm250 2 stroke which had horrible head shake) but after test riding the yz it was love. im sure any of the bikes will do their owners proud heck phil lawrence gave the ktm the first place nod.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.