New to TT and to 4-Stroke dirtbikes

3 replies to this topic
  • WOT800

Posted February 12, 2007 - 10:54 AM

I just got a used 2000 YZ426 last week and I can not wait for the spring. I wanted to post and see what I have to do to check out the engine, suspension, and all the other parts of the bike that might be problem areas. I do not know the history of the bike at all and my dirtbikes in the past have been all 2-strokes. I can do alot of work myself, I have turn a wrench or two. I just need some guidence on what to look for. Thanks and I look forward to hearing your posts.

• jayh300

Posted February 12, 2007 - 12:27 PM

learn the starting procedure..... get a good manual, the maint. is way different than your 2 stroke. not knowing much about the bike I would change all fluids. everything you will need to know about that bike you will find here.
have fun.
welcome to tt

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted February 12, 2007 - 01:49 PM

I just got a used 2000 YZ426 last week and I can not wait for the spring. I wanted to post and see what I have to do to check out the engine, suspension, and all the other parts of the bike that might be problem areas. I do not know the history of the bike at all and my dirtbikes in the past have been all 2-strokes. I can do alot of work myself, I have turn a wrench or two. I just need some guidence on what to look for. Thanks and I look forward to hearing your posts.

Welcome. :censored:

This should keep you busy reading about your 426 for hours. http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=447989

• Steve T

Posted February 12, 2007 - 02:22 PM

I'm new to this forum as well and can tell you honestly that all of the people who have given advice have been great and it's been good advice. For that matter they helped me diagnose a starting issue in a few days with my 2001 426. I would second the advice on changing all of the fluids and learning the starting procedure. Ive always been a believer in good quality synthetics in all of my vehicles and it's never let me down. Air filter maintenance is about the same as 2 strokes except there are a lot of better quality products out there from which to chose than there were say 10-15 years ago. Don't neglect the fork oil and make sure it's the right viscosity. (The previous owner of my bike took excellent care of it and he was a good rider) The only thing he suggested I do soon after I purchased it was change the fork oil to a lighter or standard viscosity as he was heavier and preferred a heavier weight oil. I went back to the factory spec and it was much better for me. Enjoy the bike. Mines been great and other than the starting problem which I almost have licked, it's been solid reliable and far more power than anyone ever needs in thier late 40's!

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.