Need some help with clutch

6 replies to this topic
  • windseeker1

Posted February 12, 2007 - 02:42 AM

First excuse my english but i'm from portugal and i have very little experience on writhing.

My situation is the following

My brother and i we have wr's 426.
Last Sundays after some trails ride when we were getting home the clutch cable broke. We touth it would just need to be replaced te cable.

but after installing a new one the clutch andle was very light and isn't working
WE guess that something inside the gear box is out of place

WE odd thing is that we did not pull the axle were the clutch cable is atached nor dismantled any motor part.

If anyone can give some kind of advice we would be very apreciated

• grayracer513

Posted February 12, 2007 - 09:10 AM

Your English is fine. My Portuguese is...not. :censored:

Everything inside the clutch assembly should stay in place when a cable breaks, but it is possible sometimes to drop the release bearing (#18 & 19 in the drawing). I assume one bike is broken and one is OK, so on the one that still works, pull the clutch just to where the free play is taken up and look at the position of the clutch arm below the carb. Now push by hand the clutch arm of the bike with the bad cable until it gets tight. They should both be in a similar position at this point. If the broken one goes a lot farther, take apart the clutch cover and remove the springs (#9) and pressure plate (#6) to see if there is a problem.

Otherwise, unless you have been sold an incorrect cable, you should be able to adjust the play out and make it work right.

• windseeker1

Posted February 13, 2007 - 03:35 AM

Thanks for the info really help full gonna check that

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CRF150Joe

Posted February 13, 2007 - 08:23 AM

make sure you have the cable run the proper way otherwise you will have alot of slack and it wont give a good pull.

• windseeker1

Posted February 14, 2007 - 02:36 AM

Ok waiting for the weekend to get my hands to the job

• aniesigh

Posted March 22, 2007 - 08:12 AM

hi, im having a similar sort of problem but wasnt caused by snapped cable, clutch actuator arm doest feel any resistance till its about 30mm away from the cable holder, moves wayyyyy to far, what have i done wrong?

• ZéPovinho

Posted March 22, 2007 - 03:53 PM

viva PORTUGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
terra sem lei!!!!!!!!!!!

sometimes cluch disks break inside the basket on older models, once broke on my 00WR400, but I did´nt got all that cluch gap that you guys mention. just did a crank/rod rebuilt, imagine how i felt whend I saw them ok?:lol:
BTW, should´nt part 17 hold part 18 and 19? :applause: unless 20 gets broken....:eek:

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.