Headlight Question XR650L

4 replies to this topic

Posted February 11, 2007 - 07:00 PM

I noticed just recently that everytime when i apply the brakes either thru the hand brake or foot brake, my headlight goes brighter. When i use the signal light flasher, the headlight intermittently goes from dim to bright just like the blinkers. This happens both in low beam and high beam. Lastly, The light goes from bright to dim when running even without using the brakes or flasher. I'm afraid that i may end up in the dark soon.. It has to be electrical, but where do i start? Has anybody ever have this experience? Thanks!

• cleonard

Posted February 11, 2007 - 10:48 PM

Most likely just a poor electrical connection. Check all the connections for tightness and corrosion. Clean any corrosion you find. There is something called dielectric grease that is sold at auto parts stores. It is used to keep the water out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • witdogg

Posted February 11, 2007 - 10:50 PM

Use dielectric gel on every connection and even on the end of the bulb. It keeps all the water out and is non conductive.

Posted February 17, 2007 - 08:55 PM

Checked connections, nothing unusual, applied dielectric grease, changed H4 55W bulb. Same results... The headlight still goes from bright to dim while using the blinkers, applying the brakes, then just now it becomes brighter when i pull in the clutch!!! Could it be the A.C. Regulator or stator on it's way out? I am dumbfounded!

• bigredxr

Posted February 18, 2007 - 04:35 AM

I'm assuming the battery for the bike is good and starts the bike fine or u would have mentioned something, right? If good I would hook up a dvom to the headlamp pwr (G) green pin and other to a known good grd and verify the actual voltage drop at the headlamp and work backwards from there. Following the wiring diagram the headlmap wiring goes down to the turn signal, dimmer, horn switch assembly. Might be worth 2 sec to take apart and see if poluted with water. Also check your grd. Make sure there is no pwr on your grd, if so it may be loose corroded or making interm. contact. Headlamp is on its own dedicated fuse in the fuse box. U can check there for corrosion and also for volatage drop there. Working backwards now start at headlamp, verify drop, then to switch, and then to fuse box for pwr side of things. By the way the (G) which I believe is green comes directly out of the regulator/rectifer, and pwr's all the lights. Report back and let me know what u find and we'll work from there:thumbsup: Jeremy

Related Content

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  41 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.