Trouble removing front brake pad pin, any suggestions?

7 replies to this topic
  • hartzpad

Posted February 11, 2007 - 03:31 PM

2001 WR426F

I'm installing new front pads and I can't seem to get the brake pad pin in the caliper to break loose. In the manual, it shows that there is a (1) Pad Pin and what looks to be a thread cap on top of the pad pin with a slot for a flat head screwdriver. I've tried to remove the pin with a flathead and it just won't budge, the slot is very narrow for most screwdrivers.

Is the sloted cap just covering up the pin which has an allen head or is the slotted parts actually the pin itself? That's what it looks like in the schematic. I just need to get that flat head cap out and I'm gold. If I can get it out, I'll be sure to use some anti-sieze on it, previous owner did not do most regular maintenance. Manual says that the pin should be torqued to 13 ft-lbs. and the cap to 2.2 ft-lbs, so it shouldn't be so tight that I can't get it off with the leverage of a screwdriver.

Do I need an impact driver to loosen it? I've looked in 2 different manuals and no luck.

Here is a pic of the brake pad pin cap I am trying to remove (slotted for flathead screwdriver):

Posted Image

Posted Image

• mtolivedriver

Posted February 11, 2007 - 07:52 PM

mine did the same thing on the back and i found a nut that fit over the cap and took it and welded it to it got a wrench and took it rite off it hard to make the weld stick but its not like ur going to weld it to the caliper its not metel so just try that

• hartzpad

Posted February 11, 2007 - 08:58 PM

mine did the same thing on the back and i found a nut that fit over the cap and took it and welded it to it got a wrench and took it rite off it hard to make the weld stick but its not like ur going to weld it to the caliper its not metel so just try that

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try some penetrating oil and some heat before I resort to welding, but that is an option. I also tried using a pair of vise grips on the pin inside the caliber while trying to break it loose with a screwdriver, no go. It must be seized.

• jandmsuburban7

Posted February 11, 2007 - 09:18 PM

I havent bit into one of these units before so I dont have the experience here, but with my other experiences - you have some rubber parts as well as very close tolerance metals moving (sliding) over one another and I would be very cautious and careful with the heat. I think at this point, at least for starters, I would give some good penetrating oil and then take a flat punch and set it on top and give a couple of very level, soft hits and see if that doesnt pop the thing loose!?!?!?!? thanks, Jason

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hartzpad

Posted February 12, 2007 - 06:46 AM

you are right, excessive heat would be a bad thing, although, how hot can a caliper get on say a Motard racing?

I'll try penetrating oil and I may buy an impact driver (the kind that turn the screw when you hit them with a hammer) to see if that will break it loose.

• GCannon

Posted February 12, 2007 - 08:54 AM

Definitely use the Impact Driver with a good tip. penetrating oil and concentrate some heat on the casting at the plug with a propane torch. Don't burn anything up just get those molecules moving a bit faster and break the bond between the parts. Good luck. Dont be afraid to take the caliper off the bike and put it into the vise for a better chance of getting at the plug and getting it out without making a bigger mess than you already have.

• trailordune

Posted February 12, 2007 - 09:22 PM

you are right, excessive heat would be a bad thing, although, how hot can a caliper get on say a Motard racing?

I'll try penetrating oil and I may buy an impact driver (the kind that turn the screw when you hit them with a hammer) to see if that will break it loose.

Definitely, go buy a hammer driver. They're cheap and once you have one you won't know how you ever lived without it. Job done and you won't have screws looking like that again!

• GCannon

Posted February 13, 2007 - 09:12 AM

TrailorDune has good advise here!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.