2007 YZ-450 or WR-450 for desert racing?

13 replies to this topic
  • woz

Posted February 11, 2007 - 10:01 AM

Because of the way this board is split up I was concerned that I would not get the "pro WR" side of the story by posing my Q: on the YZ side. To keep all the replies in one place I decided to put a link here:

http://www.thumperta...717#post4360717

• jandmsuburban7

Posted February 11, 2007 - 09:36 PM

Havent ridden the new YZ but have ridden th YFZ quad. They have similar gear ratio so I understand. Having said that - I would choose the WR because of the longer gears and the style of riding you would be doing in the desert. Just my opinion. thanks, have fun, Jason

• atkinse

Posted February 11, 2007 - 11:47 PM

Two Words, HAPPY BUTTON. Just as fast as the YZ but with added benifits of having longer gearing and plusher suspension.

• witdogg

Posted February 11, 2007 - 11:48 PM

YZ450F all the way. I dont care for the WR to much.

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted February 12, 2007 - 06:19 AM

I've actually owned both and race desert, I've owned a 02, 05 and riden the 06,and 07 YZ's, I love them. Then I bought a 07 WR, wasen't to sure about my choice in the beginning but I finally have gotten my suspension dialed, put a FMF powerbomb and Ti powercore insert, rejetted it, and did all the mods. I now have a YZ with a wide range tranny (if you have never riden one, then you don't know what your missing). The bike will start with one easy kick but no need I have a joy button. I rode with a local shop owner last week that has been racing desert for 25 years and rides a CRF 450, we swithced bikes for a half hour and when I finally got my bike back the comment was "jezz that thing fells lighter then my CRF". We then went down to a long straight road and did a bunch of starts, the bikes pulled evenly until about 70 MPH and then I left him. I've changed my gearing from 14/50, to Ironman sprockets that are 14/48. 1st gear stock was great, but for the most part we don't need that low of gearing in the desert. With stock gearing the WR will go 92 MPH with the 14/48 I hit 103.
Yesterday we rode some of Last Man Standing stuff, 3 miles took 2 hours, I was on and off my bike, helping pick bikes up the cliffs, scouting, falling, etc and all I could think of at the end of the day was how cool is that joy button.
I'm sure these other comments were well informed, but I have been racing desert for 5 years and MX for 20 years. Side note I finished 1st in the 4-stroke class and 11th overall in the MRANN desert series for 2006. I bleed blue with a little desert dust mixed in. Jeff S

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 12, 2007 - 09:51 AM

I've actually owned both and race desert, I've owned a 02, 05 and riden the 06,and 07 YZ's, I love them. Then I bought a 07 WR, wasen't to sure about my choice in the beginning but I finally have gotten my suspension dialed, put a FMF powerbomb and Ti powercore insert, rejetted it, and did all the mods. I now have a YZ with a wide range tranny (if you have never riden one, then you don't know what your missing). The bike will start with one easy kick but no need I have a joy button. I rode with a local shop owner last week that has been racing desert for 25 years and rides a CRF 450, we swithced bikes for a half hour and when I finally got my bike back the comment was "jezz that thing fells lighter then my CRF". We then went down to a long straight road and did a bunch of starts, the bikes pulled evenly until about 70 MPH and then I left him. I've changed my gearing from 14/50, to Ironman sprockets that are 14/48. 1st gear stock was great, but for the most part we don't need that low of gearing in the desert. With stock gearing the WR will go 92 MPH with the 14/48 I hit 103.
Yesterday we rode some of Last Man Standing stuff, 3 miles took 2 hours, I was on and off my bike, helping pick bikes up the cliffs, scouting, falling, etc and all I could think of at the end of the day was how cool is that joy button.
I'm sure these other comments were well informed, but I have been racing desert for 5 years and MX for 20 years. Side note I finished 1st in the 4-stroke class and 11th overall in the MRANN desert series for 2006. I bleed blue with a little desert dust mixed in. Jeff S

you couldnt have said it any better, i would love to have a yz450f that is light but the e-button and the wide ratio trany makes for a deadly weapon. my neighbor rides a crf450 with desert gearing. when i ride it i feel like im shifting to much were the wr in the desert i hardly shift. if you ride and race desert ride a wr its a desert bike were as the yz is a mx bike

• WR 911

Posted February 12, 2007 - 12:09 PM

The new wr is the perfect desert bike with the exception of a few mods. Yamaha finely made an YZ into a WR. I love my bike. :censored:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Seabass

Posted February 12, 2007 - 12:22 PM

This is my two cents but realize I'm riding a 2005 WR 450. I've raced this bike since I bought it new and have never been completely happy with the bike when racing. For trail riding or trips to Baja I wouldn't ride anything else. But, IMO hitting a deep whoop section unexpectedly on the WR is frightening!! The bike is a bit heavy and wears on you, especially doing something like a hare and hound. If you're an expert racer and all you will be doing with your new bike is hardcore racing, go with the YZ. If you want one bike that does everything pretty well, go with the WR.

Again, I haven't ridden the '07 WR. Unless the '07 is a significant inprovement over the '05 WR, I'd recommend the YZ for racing.

• woz

Posted February 12, 2007 - 02:59 PM

Jeff, Thanks. I appreciate you're taking the time to share your hard won expertise with me. I've learned a huge amount in the last week or two from a few people who have taken time to answer questions. Hope to get to chase you sometime soon.

• ksrrider

Posted February 12, 2007 - 05:42 PM

Did Yamaha change the gear ratios for 07? I'm thinking about going back to blue in 08.

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted February 13, 2007 - 06:20 AM

On the YZ or the WR, either way I'm not sure. I wouldn't be suprised if one of the guys on this forum new the info and ratios off the top of their heads. If not give yamaha a call, not your dealership. They don't no squat. Jeff S

• ksrrider

Posted February 13, 2007 - 01:51 PM

I wanted to know about the new WR. I never really like the older WR ratios.

• Edrow

Posted February 13, 2007 - 04:57 PM

100+ with a sprocket swap
E Start
and the 2007 WR feels and handles much lighter than steel framed WR's. It feels very moto.
Even my buddie with a KTM 450EXC and a CRF 450 was very impressed!

Try and snag a ride on an 07 WR. You'll be convinced.

• fastratt

Posted February 13, 2007 - 06:28 PM

I just purchased the new Wr 450. I've been out of riding since knee surgeries 10 years ago. I hear that there are some mods to be done to this machine before hitting the desert. Without sounding like an idiot, what are these mods and how easy are they to accomplish. Any info would be appreciated!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.