Am I giving up too easily? ('05 WR450)

10 replies to this topic
  • TBone_Boston

Posted February 11, 2007 - 07:12 AM

I am in the process of getting rid of my '05 WR450 and moving on to a true mx. First off, I know that trading it in is not the best way to sell a bike however...

A few dealers are saying they don't even want it, while others are giving me numbers between 3000-3200. I have an offer to get 3300 in trade for an '07 CRF450 (plus 600 off on the CRF). The WR needs tires and a tune up but elsewise is in great condition - dealer said it needed fork seals?.

Am I giving in too easy? If I keep it and sell it myself can I really do THAT much better? NADAD says 3500 - 4500 at most but what is the ballpark of a real mkt value?

I just need a reality check here! Thx

• TAPsXR400

Posted February 11, 2007 - 07:40 AM

Sounds like the dealer is making a pretty good offer to you. Not sure about MA but here in TX you do not pay tax on the value you are trading in. It is approx 6.25% here so you would not pay tax on the $3300 saves like $200. Here in TX I have seen several 2006's in mint condition going for high 4's to low 5's. Just my thoughts on the deal. If you end up getting the CRF, keep a very close eye on the valves, it will be expensive if you dont.

Todd

• TBone_Boston

Posted February 11, 2007 - 07:54 AM

Thanks for the note. And yeah...I am partial to Yamaha's but one dealer said no thanks to the WR trade, and another said $3000.

I love Yamaha reliability but since I'm a 210 pound vet, I'd need to sink additional cash into the YZ suspension whereas the Honda stock suspension is more compliant with a guy my size.

I had even thought about the new RMZ but I have a career and 3 kids and I don't have time for case splitting maintenance. Too bad because I sure could use a bike that makes up for my lack of ability in the corners :-)

• specialk6r

Posted February 11, 2007 - 10:16 AM

Take a little time and sell it privately. You'll ALWAYS get more money that way. 2003 models are still going for $3000. You'll likely get another grand out of it selling it yourself.

Also, a lot of dealers, cars and bikes alike, don't even take off how much they say they do. There are many little places they can add the money on. That's why people that know what they're doing won't talk about trades until they get their base price figured out.

• msgbean

Posted February 11, 2007 - 02:46 PM

Save yourself the hassle and get ride of it. To me its a pain in the ass trying to sell it and in the end you just want to get rid of it so you end up taking less anyway. I don't know what you tax rate is but at 6% you will save $200 in taxes on your new bike with a trade in. Thats like actually getting $3500 for it. Just my opinion.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • specialk6r

Posted February 11, 2007 - 05:28 PM

Save yourself the hassle and get ride of it. To me its a pain in the ass trying to sell it and in the end you just want to get rid of it so you end up taking less

Desperation and impatience are the most sure-fire ways to lose a lot of money when it comes to anything motorized. Scan the classifieds. Most 05's are going for well over $4,000.

The reason that most people think selling stuff is such a hastle is that they advertise their 05' for $4800, expecting that they're going hagle with the buyer. Everyone thinks that it's way to much so it doesn't sell. Put that thing in your regional trader for the lowest price you'll take, say $3900, and it will be gone soon. No hastle. But if you're rich and wouldnt put in a few hours of effort to save yourself hundreds, take it down to the local stealership. They'll be glad to sell it for $1500 more than they paid you for it.

• vtrider05

Posted February 12, 2007 - 10:01 AM

$3500 seems pretty realistic to me. I paid $4700 for my 05 wr450 brand new just a left over on the showroom floor.

• MN_Paul

Posted February 12, 2007 - 04:23 PM

$3500 seems pretty realistic to me. I paid $4700 for my 05 wr450 brand new just a left over on the showroom floor.

It must depend on where you are but I also agree with the above comment. I paid 3000 for my (well used but not trashed) 05 last August. I saw other "like new" 05's when I was looking for 4000 but they were on the other side of the country from me.

Paul

• farmerjohn42

Posted February 13, 2007 - 09:26 PM

Out here in Calif. the wr450 05 is 4500 or better. I have made a few phone calls and at this time of year no body wants to budge, unless the bike looks like it has raced the Dakar.

• TBone_Boston

Posted February 16, 2007 - 08:00 AM

Thanks to everyone that replied.

I decided against trading it. I'm going to get the bike I want, either the '07YZ450 or the KTM450sxf (no flames please) - and I'll just sell the WR myself once i put some sneakers on it and tune it. I think I can do a better than 3300 :censored:

Cheers!

• Beejay

Posted February 17, 2007 - 07:19 PM

:censored: 07yz450:ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.