front brake drags

9 replies to this topic
  • RJC

Posted February 10, 2007 - 07:23 PM

Front brake drags a bit spinning the wheel with bike on the stand. Should i be concerned and tear caliper/piston apart now? Rebuild?

• needsprayer

Posted February 10, 2007 - 08:02 PM

Hold the front brake on to extend the pistons and spray the caliper with brake cleaner. Spin the wheel and apply brakes a couple of times. If the piston was a little sticky with grim it may clear up.

• rebelventurer

Posted February 10, 2007 - 11:47 PM

First I would flush the brake fluid. Second I would disassemble and clean. Good luck with your stickiness.

• bork

Posted February 11, 2007 - 05:52 AM

Start with a good flush. A slight rub is normal but does it slow down wheel fast? like a 1/2 a turn? Spin a coupls times first to get pads to spread a litle then see how fast it stops . Anyone else to compare it too? if I get mine up on stand I'll check for you, but presently my back is out & I lift my bike up on stand.

• RJC

Posted February 11, 2007 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for the input, guys. Yeah, please let me know how yours compares, Bork. I'll pic up some brake cleaner tomorrow and try that first.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bork

Posted February 13, 2007 - 02:35 PM

OK, As fast as I can manually spin by hand.= 4-41/2 turns . I put a piece of masking tape band thru spokes around rim & tire, so I could plainly see number of revolutions. Hope this helps. I think this mine is normal?

• RJC

Posted February 13, 2007 - 04:18 PM

Thanks Bork, mine makes about 2 turns. I think I'll just tear into it. Getting the manual out.............

• HawkGT

Posted February 13, 2007 - 06:12 PM

Some drag is normal--the pads should be kissing the rotor. Some pads drag more than others when their just kissing (or full-on braking for that matter).

I'm getting about 3 1/2 turns out of my 02' XR650R with new wheel bearings and an EBC big rotor kit. EBC pads too, I think. You can certainly feel the friction but I don't think there's much to do about it. My 95' CR250R goes more like 7 or 8 turns [shrug].

Years ago I had a CBR900RR with dual 4 piston calipers. They had what I thought felt like excessive kissing friction. I rebuilt everything with little change. I eventually came to the conclusion that the EBC HH pads I was running was the cause. The pads performed well enough that I ignored the brake drag. I figure what feels like a lot to your arm is probably only eats a small fraction of 1 HP.

• bork

Posted February 14, 2007 - 07:25 PM

hehehe , maybe I spin faster? BTW my rotor is slightly bent which may cause the puks to spread out alittle from the wobble action.

• PeterGO

Posted February 26, 2009 - 06:55 PM

'98 XR650L
Anyone know exactly what I need to buy to refurbish my front brake caliper?
It sticks pretty badly. Is it necessary to replace it instead?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.