06 With Rekluse Set Up Trouble

6 replies to this topic
  • kxman

Posted February 10, 2007 - 06:26 PM

I have an 06 YZ450 F. Today I tried installing a Rekluse clutch with the Perch adjuster in this bike. If anyone else has the same year with this set up i could use some help. How did you get the inner sleeve of the perch adjuster installed? The directions say that it is supposed to bottom out against the casing on the clutch cable but there is a nut and a cable adjuster in the way and the inner sleeve will not slip over them. I bought this used and it came off of an 05 WR450. It had a cable that came with it but I couldn't get that to work either. Finally gave up on that and tried setting it up with the adjuster on the engine and removed the cable and clutch lever. No matter how I adjusted the spring on the regular adjuster it would die as soon as I put the bike in gear.
I would like to get this set up right and use the perch adjuster. I am thinking that perhaps the 06 uses a different clutch cable than earlier years. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

• gdbarr1976

Posted February 11, 2007 - 07:47 AM

I have an 06 YZ450 F. Today I tried installing a Rekluse clutch with the Perch adjuster in this bike. If anyone else has the same year with this set up i could use some help. How did you get the inner sleeve of the perch adjuster installed? The directions say that it is supposed to bottom out against the casing on the clutch cable but there is a nut and a cable adjuster in the way and the inner sleeve will not slip over them. I bought this used and it came off of an 05 WR450. It had a cable that came with it but I couldn't get that to work either. Finally gave up on that and tried setting it up with the adjuster on the engine and removed the cable and clutch lever. No matter how I adjusted the spring on the regular adjuster it would die as soon as I put the bike in gear.
I would like to get this set up right and use the perch adjuster. I am thinking that perhaps the 06 uses a different clutch cable than earlier years. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Got your pm and will try to help. First, if you used just the adjuster on the engine and it is still stalling when you put it in gear then I would guess you have it set up to tite. You need aleast .030in. Do you have instructions? If not I can fax you mine tomorrow form work. That clearance is critical. But, before you tear it back apart, remember that it is a dry sump and there my not be enough oil down there when you first start it especially if you did not soak the plates in oil first. Do this, start it up, give it a shove and put it in gear then ride it around some. Get it hot and do some start stops. If it strill stalls just comming to a stop with the aduster thing pretty tite then the set up tolerance is to tite. If you are not sure what I mean by the set up tollerance then that is probablly your problem.

As for the perch adjuster, you will need a 05yz450cable. It is a little longer than the 06 yz so they told me but the wr may be the same thing. As for how to fit it all together, you need instructions. I will fax thoughs also if you need them. If you are desperate and want to get it going today, call me 256-244-0552, Gary

• kxman

Posted February 11, 2007 - 11:44 AM

Thanks Gary,
I downloaded the instructions from the Rekluse web site. My clearance was checking at .033 but that may not be exact, had to put two blades of the feeler gauges together because the thickest blade on either set is .025. I bet you are right about the plates being too dry. The bike hasn't been ridden in 8 weeks because I had surgery. I was getting tired of working on it last night and never let the bike warm up very long, should have known better. So your stock cable wouldn't work with the perch adjuster either? How much do they charge for the cable?

Thanks again,
Steve

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gdbarr1976

Posted February 11, 2007 - 01:30 PM

Thanks Gary,
I downloaded the instructions from the Rekluse web site. My clearance was checking at .033 but that may not be exact, had to put two blades of the feeler gauges together because the thickest blade on either set is .025. I bet you are right about the plates being too dry. The bike hasn't been ridden in 8 weeks because I had surgery. I was getting tired of working on it last night and never let the bike warm up very long, should have known better. So your stock cable wouldn't work with the perch adjuster either? How much do they charge for the cable?

Thanks again,
Steve

Not sure about the cost of the cable. They told me I needed a longer cable when I ordered it so I never tried the stock one. I have tried every clutch combo possible. Magura hydro you name it. Was never real happy with the engagment, as in to slow, with just the steel balls with the rekluse. This last set up I put in three tungsten balls and am using the barrell adjuster. I just came back in from abusing it out on my practice track and I can tell you it is perfect. The tunsten balls make the difference. Now I can use the clutch over ride if wanted or not. But the biggee was that I can start it in gear, 3rd gear, with the clutch in and it seems to start every time. Very sweet!

• Idaho_Stas

Posted February 12, 2007 - 10:34 PM

I'm guessing/betting you need a longer cable. I installed the Pro version on my '06 and had to get the longer cable to use with the Perch Adjustor.

• Mike546

Posted February 13, 2007 - 01:11 PM

I'm guessing/betting you need a longer cable. I installed the Pro version on my '06 and had to get the longer cable to use with the Perch Adjustor.

Why did you use a perch adjuster with the Pro Model. I just installed one yesterday and used the stock cable without the perch adjuster. I did notice that it engages just above idle. I'm going to try the red spring so it engages a little later.

• Idaho_Stas

Posted February 13, 2007 - 02:15 PM

Why did you use a perch adjuster with the Pro Model. I just installed one yesterday and used the stock cable without the perch adjuster. I did notice that it engages just above idle. I'm going to try the red spring so it engages a little later.

Because when I bought mine Rekluse was recommending it (or at least offering it as an option). The idea of being able to fine tune the engagement without having to pop off the clutch cover was appealing. In hindsight, I could easily have done without it.

In talking to on of the Tech Reps at Rekluse a couple of weeks ago, they are no longer offering the PA with the Pro Model because it involved having to stock/inventory lots and lots of different lengths of clutch cables for the various bike models and they didn't want to manage the inventory logistics/matrix.

I like having the PA and used it to get the clutch dialed in initially... since then, I have rarely touched it.

Love the clutch though!!! :censored:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.