How much is it gonna cost to make an 04 YZ 450 street legal?

12 replies to this topic
  • never59

Posted February 10, 2007 - 02:58 PM

I am gonna make my 04 yz 450 street legal. I am gonna need a stator, headlight and brake light. Anyone have any tips on what i should get or a cheaper route to get this done? Any insight would be much appreciated!

• 35yz450F

Posted February 10, 2007 - 03:41 PM

$1000

• MikeDD

Posted February 10, 2007 - 10:32 PM

I'll second that, I spent about $700 plating my bike with DOT tires and all. I still haven't purchased a stator hoping that the WR one could possibly be compatible, but that has yet to be seen.

• hall1012

Posted February 10, 2007 - 11:02 PM

you guys are lucky. i wish cali had the same dmv laws as other states. it's hard to make ANYTHING street legal nowadays, unless it came plated from the factory. maybe i'll just move...:censored:

• grayracer513

Posted February 11, 2007 - 06:47 AM

you guys are lucky. i wish cali had the same dmv laws as other states. it's hard to make ANYTHING street legal nowadays, unless it came plated from the factory. maybe i'll just move...:censored:

If the bike was plated in any other state, it's usually a simple transfer.

• MikeDD

Posted February 11, 2007 - 01:10 PM

I am gonna make my 04 yz 450 street legal. I am gonna need a stator, headlight and brake light. Anyone have any tips on what i should get or a cheaper route to get this done? Any insight would be much appreciated!

I would first check with your DMV to find out exactly what you need to plate your bike. More than likely you are going to be required to have turn signals, horn, mirror, ect. As far as the kits go, you get what you pay for and the good ones are around 400-500 dollars. Get something that’s going to last, especially if you plan on riding off road. You might be able to find a used kit on ebay or find parts off of a junked street legal bike but that could be more of a headache than it's worth.

If the bike was plated in any other state, it's usually a simple transfer.

If you plan on moving to California the DMV there is very lenient about bringing non compliant vehicles from out of state. I know because when I went to college there I didn't have California emissions on the truck I shipped. They key is to talk to them prior to moving and get it in writing. However, if your a California resident trying to buy a vehicle out of state in order to circumvent California laws, good luck, because I doubt it's going to happen. They are very strict about that. At least now, there are more choices than ever if you want to buy a plated dirtbike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 11, 2007 - 01:49 PM

However, if your a California resident trying to buy a vehicle out of state in order to circumvent California laws, good luck, because I doubt it's going to happen. They are very strict about that.

At one point, CA tried a $350 "import" tax on 49 state vehicles brought into the state by anyone, but the courts set that aside. The only impediment now is that you have to have registered the vehicle in the state it came from, which usually requires a legal residence in that state. You can have a legal residence in as many states as you like, but it usually takes more than just saying so to do that. New Hampshire was one that would sell and register vehicles to non-residents last I heard.

• MikeDD

Posted February 11, 2007 - 02:24 PM

Ahh, very interesting! Hawaii until recently was similar. You could plate a bike on another island providing you had an address there and then ship it to Oahu and still be legal. The problem lied in the yearly inspection though because you would have to take it back to original island for that. More trouble than it was worth unless did a lot of inter-island riding.

• Jizz

Posted February 14, 2007 - 07:02 PM

I made my 01 426 street legal in NV and it cost me around $1100. I bought Baja Designs lighting coil and there street legal kit which comes with headlight, horn, turn signals and battery all behind there numberplate. And there rear fender brake light and turn signal assembly is nice and clean. all worked great and that lighting coil really puts out some power.

• 426_kid

Posted February 15, 2007 - 10:33 AM

its hard on the bike too, specially when your sitting at a light. Ive heard several of my friends blow motors because of that so watch out...lol other than that good luck and sounds sweet

• Moosnukle

Posted February 15, 2007 - 10:48 AM

Blown motor sitting at a stop light? :censored: :ride: :lol:

• crayztwentyseven

Posted February 15, 2007 - 01:14 PM

its hard on the bike too, specially when your sitting at a light. Ive heard several of my friends blow motors because of that so watch out...lol other than that good luck and sounds sweet

• MikeDD

Posted February 16, 2007 - 09:56 PM

I don't see how this is any different from slow trail riding. A good indicator that your engine is hot, would be coolant spewing from the radiator, unless it's low already. In that case I guess you deserve to have your engine "blow up." I wouldn't ride through city traffic either.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.