seized swingarm bolt

7 replies to this topic
  • XR4DEZ

Posted February 10, 2007 - 01:37 PM

Nursing a broken wrist so i have a little time. I can't get the swingarm bolt out, the swingarm moves freely and there isn't any wobble or play in the bearings. What if I just forget about it for now and wait for the offseason? What could go wrong? thanx for your help.

• Thumpmeister

Posted February 10, 2007 - 01:47 PM

If there is no play or wobble, why are you trying to take the bolt out?

• XR4DEZ

Posted February 10, 2007 - 02:30 PM

I was going to grease the bolt and bearings, guess I was a little neglegent in my grease routine.

• cleonard

Posted February 11, 2007 - 10:39 PM

First use some penetrating oil. Let it sit. Then if it still doesn't come out, beat it into submission. I use a 3/8 socket extension. It's just the right size to push the swingarm bolt through.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thouk

Posted February 12, 2007 - 10:08 AM

One thing that you might want to look out for with a stuck bolt is that if you beat on it too hard the bolt will mushroom. I know from experience. I had to cut the frame to get the engine out to switch it over to the other frame. Have fu, Tony

• dburkett

Posted February 13, 2007 - 04:52 PM

Heat/brass punch.

• thouk

Posted February 14, 2007 - 03:02 AM

I guess my BFH was not calibrated for the necessary torque that was needed. Mine would not budge. Tony

• suharianu

Posted February 14, 2007 - 06:27 AM

you will have to drill it,head bolt was broken off,no matter how much pounding
it didnt want to move.it may bend with time, because its a hollow bolt if i remember correctly.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.