engine noise in bottom end 2000 xr 650r?

4 replies to this topic
  • steve holloway

Posted February 10, 2007 - 12:01 PM

just looking to buy this 2000 xr 650r. it has a mechanical noise coming from the bottom end of the motor. the owner says it's common for this model to have this noise. has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

• Thumpmeister

Posted February 10, 2007 - 01:13 PM

Depends on what the noise sounds like... For the most part, yes, some noise is common on these, esp when they are cold. When they warm up, the noise should go away...

Can you describe what the noise sounds like? Did it go away when it warmed up?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • steve holloway

Posted February 10, 2007 - 01:22 PM

sounds like some sort or grinding noise or something. It sounds the same hot or cold. seems to be consistant with the rpm's?

• rcnutt

Posted February 10, 2007 - 04:45 PM

The engine noise from these bikes is crazy, but they are bulletproof.Mine is so loud I've just been waiting for it to blow, but 6000 miles later it still rips as strong as when I got it.Unless it's a REAL loud knocking, it's most likley normal noise for that engine..........

• Billahjack

Posted February 10, 2007 - 05:08 PM

The kickstarter makes noise if the bike is really cold or has not been run in a while. It sounds like a fishing reel when a fish is taking the line out. Kind of a buzzing mechanical sound. 20 minutes of running and it should go away.

If it sounds more clanky, then it could be ok to bad. My 2000 sounds clanky and it still rips, although the oil gets dirty in one ride. I think it needs a rebuild.

Related Content

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.