650R Fork oil change.

No replies to this topic
  • motopsycho650

Posted February 10, 2007 - 07:39 AM

I recently changed to fork oil in my front forks for the first time. I did not heed the warning. My '03 has 7200 off-road miles on it in 3 seasons.

What was interesting is, when my bike was new, about 500 miles, I blew a fork seal. It was replaced under warranty, but even though I argued, they only replaced the one seal that was bad.

Anyways, I drained the forks by opening the caps, pumping the forks a few times over an oil pan, and then I hung them upside-down for 24 hours.

The side that had been replaced was still decent oil. It was really dirty, but it was still oil consistency. The side that was still stock, on the other hand, was in bad shape. The oil had started turning to "snot". It was gross.

Anyways, after 24 hours of hanging I got 20.5 oz. of oil out of each fork. The total stock capacity is 21.5 oz., plus I had previously added 10ml to each fork. So, I got almost all the old nasty oil out, and since that stuff was NASTY, I'm going to start changing oil every year.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.