XR 600RR - Valve cover and head removal

13 replies to this topic
  • Jon-D

Posted February 09, 2007 - 07:01 PM

I started removing the valve cover in order to rebuild the head and install new rings but there does not seem to be enough room to remove it. do I have to remove the engine out of the frame in order to disassemble the top end?

• bork

Posted February 10, 2007 - 05:32 AM

I have only done the head also. It did seem to look as if engine would have to be taken out or tipped for jug off. Hopefully someone else with this knowledge will chime in.

• XR6's_rule

Posted February 10, 2007 - 05:35 AM

I have only done the head also. It did seem to look as if engine would have to be taken out or tipped for jug off. Hopefully someone else with this knowledge will chime in.

Yep these things are tight to get out but i have done it many times so it is possible! You need to remove the carby and inlet manifold from the head. This will allow you to tip the rocker cover back into this area to remove it. It is still a little bit tight but a bit of patience will get it there. It will beat pulling the whole engine out of the bike! Hope this helps,

Mark.

• creeky

Posted February 10, 2007 - 05:54 AM

It is not necessary to remove the engine, the whole top end can be removed with the engine in the frame. Something that is often overlooked when doing this for the first time is that you have to lift up the long center bolt that holds the cylinder head cover on in order to obtain the necessary clearance to get the cover off. Keep diddling with it, you'll get it off sooner or later.

• daddyk

Posted February 10, 2007 - 06:21 AM

Just did my valve cover last week. The guy that built it used a paper gasket and sealer and yes it started leaking.Do yourself a favor and get the metal one. To answer your question The ones after '90 you can do with engine in frame the manual says not with the earlier ones.I can't say about pulling the head,thankfully haven't had to do that.

• suharianu

Posted February 10, 2007 - 08:40 AM

cant use paper for valve cover you will ruin your camshaft and head journls Im afraid!

• Jon-D

Posted February 10, 2007 - 09:58 AM

Thanks Guys! I left the carb in and planned to pull it after removing the cover. Now that I know I have to remove the carb first to rotate the cover back, its next on my list. Thanks again for saving me some time!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jon-D

Posted February 10, 2007 - 09:59 AM

cant use paper for valve cover you will ruin your camshaft and head journls Im afraid!

I don’t understand, is it a clearance issue and has this happend to you?

• BMEPdoc

Posted February 11, 2007 - 03:28 PM

Dimensional stability during thermal expansion/retraction. google: Hysteresis - There's a very good reason why engineers design components the way they do.

• sox19802001

Posted February 11, 2007 - 03:36 PM

just finished rebuilding my top end in frame so mabey I can help. I found that if you take out the engine mount bolts ecept the back one by the swing arm, the engine will drop just enough to allow all those clearences that you need. I hope this helps.

• bork

Posted February 11, 2007 - 04:12 PM

I know the cam cover will come ooff with engine in BUT will the jug come off with engine in?

• creeky

Posted February 11, 2007 - 04:38 PM

I know the cam cover will come ooff with engine in BUT will the jug come off with engine in?

Yes, it will.

• Jon-D

Posted February 11, 2007 - 06:20 PM

thanks, the cover was real easy to remove once I took off the carb and boot. I was also surprised at how easily the came came out, but had to fiddle a bit with the cam sprocket and chain to get that part out.

• creeky

Posted February 11, 2007 - 06:30 PM

If you don't already have a Honda service manual, get one, life will be much better.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.