2007 450 cold starting

6 replies to this topic
  • gonzo

Posted February 09, 2007 - 03:53 PM

Well I am back to the blue side again. I just picked up an 07. I am going to ride it tommorow indoors but I would like to at least start it once. It has been started one time at the dealer and thats it. I am having trouble other wise. I put a 48 pilot in (in the past a 45 helped on my 03 that I had) but I am still having issues. I've tried adjusting the fuel screw as well. With the 45 I went out a full turn and I have gone as far as a full turn with the 48. I am not really looking for perfect jetting just get it started. Have these bikes gotten harder to start since 03? I dont remember having this much trouble. I was always the guy starting my bike on the 2nd kick year round.

• bigbluerider4life

Posted February 09, 2007 - 04:36 PM

naa, its just those first few kicks...took about 60 to get my 250f going but after that its started 1st kick cold with choke on,3 priming throtlle squirts,and fourstroke kicks not smoker kicks

just new bike syndrome...if you kick till your leg falls off and still no results then you have some other issues besides jetting

• grayracer513

Posted February 09, 2007 - 06:07 PM

Gonzo,

Someone told me it's cold in Michigan. I trust you're giving the bike a good 2-3 twists on the throttle and all that to get it cold started, right?

If what you're saying is that you're turning the fuel screw 1 turn out from seated, that's part of the trouble; it should be right around two (1 3/4 to 2 1/4) with the newer ones. Try that.

Another dirty trick is to park a portable heater next to the bike for about 30-40 minutes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gonzo

Posted February 09, 2007 - 06:38 PM

As a general rule I always give the bike a couple twists first to prime the motor. I can usually start on the first or 2nd kick with that. The bike was stock to start to with so turning the fuel screw was from what ever position that was.

I ended up doing something a little dangerous. I parked my big rolling 80 gallon trash can about 4 feet from the bike and drapped an old sheet across. Then I put my kerosene heater under that for about 45 minutes. It still didnt start. Then I turned the fuel screw back in a full turn and it started on the 2nd kick (Wow is quiet compared to my RMZ450 with a Dr D pipe). My neighbors are probably not happy but they wont be at 9 am tommorow either when I start it again.

• Ga426owner

Posted February 10, 2007 - 06:21 AM

As a general rule I always give the bike a couple twists first to prime the motor. I can usually start on the first or 2nd kick with that. The bike was stock to start to with so turning the fuel screw was from what ever position that was.

I ended up doing something a little dangerous. I parked my big rolling 80 gallon trash can about 4 feet from the bike and drapped an old sheet across. Then I put my kerosene heater under that for about 45 minutes. It still didnt start. Then I turned the fuel screw back in a full turn and it started on the 2nd kick (Wow is quiet compared to my RMZ450 with a Dr D pipe). My neighbors are probably not happy but they wont be at 9 am tommorow either when I start it again.

Gonzo welcome back...........
these bikes hate cold temps......congrats on your 07 purchase :censored:

• gonzo

Posted February 10, 2007 - 02:12 PM

Thanks, I rode it today and I have to change the jet back to the 45. I was spitting fire all over the track and not in a good way.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted February 10, 2007 - 03:43 PM

Gonzo the reason it wont start is because it is bloody cold outside. The jetting is off.

In the bottom of the carb next to the pilot and main is the starter jet. Its a stubby little thing. The starter jet only affects the choke circuit when the choke is pulled. You need a bigger starter jet. Go up 2 sizes.

If your bike starts and stalls like 10+x before finially staying running thats the choke circuit. Its lean. Common problem in the winter.

I had a YZ400 and a CRF250x. They both hate starting in michigans winters. The bigger starter jet makes a BIG differance.

You may also have to go up on the pilot, main, and raise the needle due to the cold temps and the bike running lean. But you need to figure that one out. The starter jet will help get it started.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.