crf vs yzf

21 replies to this topic
  • toyotamx

Posted February 09, 2007 - 03:15 PM

Im in the market for a new bike and am having a hard time deciding between a crf450r and the yzf450. Ill be riding some track and some desert and doing some jumping so just a little of everything. My only concern with the yzf is that it has a 4spd and i dont want to run out of gears ridin with my friends. Ill have around 3k to spend on a used one so what do you guys recomend i should get?

• socal_sierra

Posted February 09, 2007 - 03:17 PM

ride them both and make your decision. Im not trying to be an a$$ but not one person on here is you. You need to feel confident on your bike and YOU are the only one who can be the judge of that.

• YamaHonda

Posted February 09, 2007 - 03:31 PM

Buying used is always a crap shoot and what's available in your price range will probably be the deciding factor. I have both bikes and have had 426's, and steel frame YZ450Fs as well. I wouldn't buy a 4 speed again, but you probably won't find a YZ450F with a 5 speed in your price range. The 05 CRF450R is a sweet machine - you'll probably get a lot of "Honda valve issues" comments in this forum, but coming from an owner, I haven't seen any problems on my CRF in 2 1/2 years of riding hard. Maybe I'm just lucky. I just did a re-build this winter and I invested $600 in a brand new head while I was in there, so I'm expecting 2 or 3 more years (with a couple of piston kits along the way). Thats about $100 a year in preventive valve maintenance which seems pretty reasonable to me to take the issue off the table.

At the end of the day - both bikes are incredibly good and each will present its own maintenace/reliabiltiy issues. Go for the best deal and stay away from the 4 speed if you can.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted February 09, 2007 - 03:35 PM

socal_sierra, even though he is from Cali and has a girl's name, is giving good advice.

I have never owned or ridden a CRF so I can't comment on them but if your concern is the 4spd tranny of the '03 - '05 YZF, rest assured that it will run with any bike out there. The Yamaha's are extrememly reliable. Ride them both and go with what feels right to you.

• socal_sierra

Posted February 09, 2007 - 03:37 PM

you'll probably get a lot of "Honda valve issues" comments in this forum, but coming from an owner, I haven't seen any problems on my CRF in 2 1/2 years of riding hard. At the end of the day - .

aint that the truth.. get ready hear "buy a yamaha unless you want to rebuild your bike every ______ hours"

i personally have had no valve issues what so ever with my honda. It has been ridden hard for a year. Replaced the piston once and the valves have stayed put the whole time. Just make sure you check clearences often and keep up on routiene maintence (air filter, oil changes) and you will be a happy camper...

• socal_sierra

Posted February 09, 2007 - 03:38 PM

socal_sierra, even though he is from Cali and has a girl's name, is giving good advice.

haha still a little angry about the washington jokes i see :ride: :censored:

and the "sierra" comes from the truck i drive.... :lol:my real name happens to be ryan..

• ridered55

Posted February 09, 2007 - 03:43 PM

Put $2,000 down on a new one. You'll have a better bike, $1,000 to personalize it, and a $95 doller a month bike payment. I dont recommend a Used four stroke unless the guy took great care of it and can prove it... For $3,000 chances are you'll get a clapped out bike that needs more $$$ into it. You'd be better off getting a two stroke with your money if your set on a used bike in that price range. My $.02

• Baumann

Posted February 09, 2007 - 05:38 PM

For $3,000, I would go with the CRF, '03 and '04's are for sale everywhere. But yes, a used MX bike has probably taken some abuse. If you can take a peek at the air filter, usually gives you a clue on the owners priorities when it comes to maintanence.

• grayracer513

Posted February 09, 2007 - 05:57 PM

This, of course, has come up before:

Read the thread

http://www.thumperta...191#post4307191

• toyotamx

Posted February 09, 2007 - 06:53 PM

so it looks like the yzf is favored well see what comes up for sale around here ill be looking for a yz450f but if a crf comes up in my price range im sure i wont be dissapointed since im riding a 96 ktm 250sx right now lol

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Baron Von Beard

Posted February 09, 2007 - 08:45 PM

Ummm, the steel frame Yamis are not my cup O' the tea. If I was in the market for an 02-05 bike I'd buy a YZ250. If I had the cash for an 06+, I'd buy a 2006 YZ450F.

• grayracer513

Posted February 09, 2007 - 09:37 PM

Yeah, i missed the fact that we were discussing an older used ride here. Fact is that while we were considering a bike to replace my son's YZ250F, before we gathered up the cash for an '06, we were thinking of a YZ250 for him, too. He didn't really like the '03, and I was just not convinced I wanted to own a CRF.

I'm really glad we put the deal together on the '06 instead. It's way ahead of the other 3 choices.

• toyotamx

Posted February 10, 2007 - 12:55 AM

so in the 02-04 catagory are you guys saying that the crf is a better choice cause from the other stuff i have read the yamaha seems to be better but that might just be with the newer models...

• Drfletcherdc

Posted February 10, 2007 - 08:14 AM

My buddy bought an 04 YZ450 that still had the stock tires on it for 3k. My other friend has and 04 YZ 450 and I like riding it. I wish my 06 had a 4 speed. I have been in 5th gear twice since I bought my 06 450 a year ago. I think if you ride mx, then five gears are overrated. Go for the bike that you feel comfortable on. Remember all used bikes get the tail light warranty.

• grayracer513

Posted February 10, 2007 - 09:20 AM

so in the 02-04 catagory are you guys saying that the crf is a better choice cause from the other stuff i have read the yamaha seems to be better but that might just be with the newer models...

It gets to be a trade off. The CRF has better suspension and turns quicker and feels lighter vs. the early (steel) YZ450, which is overall a much more stable handling bike in the rough. The reliability of the older CRF is variable, debatable, and a matter of record, while YZF's are in the same category with anvils and granite blocks.

• YZfamily

Posted February 10, 2007 - 02:15 PM

If you have $3000 to spend, why don't you pick up an '03 or '04 YZ250? I have an '06 YZ450F and an '03 YZ250. My 250 goes and climbs everywhere my buddies 450 goes.

• hall1012

Posted February 10, 2007 - 11:08 PM

you should really consider a wr450.... depending on the riding you do. they can do it all, and keep up with the mx'ers on the track. plus i've seen lots of them for sale lately so you could probably find a good one and get a good deal. just a thought.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted February 11, 2007 - 05:35 PM

Shoot, I'm considering selling my 06 YZ450, getting a 05+ YZ250 and using the left over dough as a down payment for some bolt-ons for the ol' lady!

• flintlock28

Posted February 11, 2007 - 06:31 PM

Be careful beard when getting bolt on's for the ol' lady....seen too many neighbors and friends that did that for the wife, and the next thing you know the old lady is looking for a new "bolt on inspector"...ya' been warned.

• flintlock28

Posted February 11, 2007 - 06:49 PM

I have an 04' yz450f. The bike was purchased used with 50 hours of trail riding only (previous owner had 40 acres of woods, pasture) The bike has been rock solid with zero problems (well, I did have to replace a fork seal) and now has about 110 hours total time on it. It has had zero engine work done on it (valves have been checked but remain well within tolerance) and has only had regular maintenance performed on it, and normal upgrades (chain, handlebars, sprockets, fuel screw) I love the bike and highly recommend it. I

Positives:

1) Very strong engine, rock solid reliability, air filter relatively easy to get to, very stable bike in the rough, and at high speeds.

Negatives:

2) The 03' thru 05' models don't corner as well as the Crf's of those years, due to being top-heavy....I installed an aftermarket Linkage (Storm linkage), which changes the head angle and definately improves the cornering, although I wish it would still turn with less work.

I personally would stay away from the Honda's of those years. Honda builds graet bikes, but the valve issue is for real, and you're taking a much greater chance of having to put out dough to correct it. Most of my riding buddy's have Yz450f's, and have had zero valvetrain issues....on the other hand out of about 8 crf owners I know, three have had to had valvetrain work done.
hope this helps

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.