Protapers with stock triple clamp?

15 replies to this topic
  • drop

Posted February 09, 2007 - 02:36 PM

Can I run Pro Taper bars with the stock triple clamp? Is there a conversion bar clamp for 1 1/8" bars?

• rebelventurer

Posted February 09, 2007 - 04:45 PM

I am sure there is but why? You can get a billet top clamp with the appropriate mounts and its way better than some cheesy adapters attached to a cast aluminum top clamp :applause: :lol:
http://www.rswracing.com/ :censored:
While your at it go ahead and get the fork brace too!
Then get rid of the 1970's style fork boots and get some dirt skins :ride:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted February 09, 2007 - 05:46 PM

Adapters are about $35 and perfectly acceptable for most riding. Will give you an additional height gain of about 3/4" on top of any gain you get from the new bars. It would be nicer having a different top clamp that would also offer some forward adjustment as well however.

• oldchvytrx

Posted February 13, 2007 - 06:27 PM

Can I run Pro Taper bars with the stock triple clamp? Is there a conversion bar clamp for 1 1/8" bars?

<<<<<<<>>>>>>>
Yes you can.
I put a set of ProTaper Woods bend on my "L". Wanted a narrower bar that made for less interference mounting Bark Busters after narrowing. The crossbar of 7/8" bars made this a pain. I also mave more clearance for accessory mounting (like GPS). I used the ProTaper adapters. I believe I got the whole setup from Chaparral online.
The gain in rise can be offset by finding a lower rise bar or run a stock rise to take advantage of it as I did.:censored:
:ride: :lol: :applause:

• hypersthenos

Posted February 14, 2007 - 12:12 AM

I have Pro Tapers on the stock triple clamps on my R with adapters. I wanted the extra height for dual sport riding & they work great. Much cheaper than new triple clamps too.

• drop

Posted February 14, 2007 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to go with the adapter setup. Now, what bend of bar should I get? Would the CR High bend be too high when you include the added height from the adapters? I'm 6 foot and ride mostly on the saddle.

• Bennito

Posted February 14, 2007 - 10:20 AM

Ultimately bar height is a personal preference. At 6'4" with the woods bend and bar adapters my bar is still not tall enough for riding while standing up. I'd say its decent for sitting. Note that it moves the bar along the line (roughly) set by your forks. so your bar is coming back towards you as well. I would guess a triple for a tall guy would move the bar straight up to keep at least the stock reach (so our ass doesn't go farther back on the bike.

Anyways, I'd say a CR high bend with adapters would be great. but you'll never know till you buy it, install it, then ride for a while. quite the gamble eh?

• vaughn

Posted February 14, 2007 - 10:35 AM

I use the "Factory Suzuki/Stock KTM" bend as it gave one of the higher rises and least amount of sweep. Less sweep is similar to having the bars mounted more forward.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hypersthenos

Posted February 14, 2007 - 12:10 PM

I'm with Vaughn on this one. The less sweep, the farther forward your hands are for more room. I've got the CR high bends which work great for me but I'm only 5'9".

• XRsteve

Posted February 14, 2007 - 10:53 PM

I believe the CR high protaper with adapters is the same height as 3/4" CR high bars w/o adapter. In other words, they designed oversize bars to use the adapters.

• oldchvytrx

Posted February 15, 2007 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to go with the adapter setup. Now, what bend of bar should I get? Would the CR High bend be too high when you include the added height from the adapters? I'm 6 foot and ride mostly on the saddle.

<<<<<<<>>>>>>>
I run a ProTaper Woods High bend and its suits me fine. I'm 6'2" with 34" inseam and a 35" sleeve (very long arms and legs). Like the other guy says, bar bend is a personal preference but this combo works great for me. Lots of comfort and control seated or standing. The CR bend was one of my first choices but I opted for the Woods because of the width. I spend lots of time in the trees!:applause: Usually missing them...:applause: :censored:
:ride: :lol: :applause:

• oldchvytrx

Posted February 15, 2007 - 10:21 AM

I believe the CR high protaper with adapters is the same height as 3/4" CR high bars w/o adapter. In other words, they designed oversize bars to use the adapters.

<<<<<<>>>>>
I'm not positive but I think it's the Universal Bends that compensate for the adapter height. They also are very close in width and pull to the CR bends.
:censored: :ride: :lol:

• vaughn

Posted February 15, 2007 - 01:48 PM

Press the "Load Chart" button at the bottom of the page from this link:

http://www.protaper....ontourbars.html

Notice the heights vs pull back of various bars. I choose Factory Suzuki as they are nearly the same height as CR-Hi but much less pull back. Windham looks good to.

• drop

Posted February 15, 2007 - 03:47 PM

vaughn,
Why do you like less sweep? Do you like the bars further forward for riding standing up?

ps. I'm 6 foot with long legs and shortish torso any ideas? Don't do much riding out of the saddle.

• pgiinc

Posted February 15, 2007 - 08:32 PM

I have a set I will sell you $25 shipped

• vaughn

Posted February 16, 2007 - 02:37 PM

Having spent many years racing (35yrs), the XR has the furthest rear-set bars I have encountered. I guess my preference is further forward for less cramped space when riding up on the tank. You will see almost all the after market top triples have less rear-set. I don't want to spend for a new clamp so less bar sweep helps the issue. It does help with standing also.

V

vaughn,
Why do you like less sweep? Do you like the bars further forward for riding standing up?

ps. I'm 6 foot with long legs and shortish torso any ideas? Don't do much riding out of the saddle.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.